Bylaws (Articles III-VII)
The Executive Committee
- Section 1. Officers. The elected officers of this chapter shall be a President, a President Elect, a Secretary, a Treasurer, a Member-at-Large, and two Student Vice-Presidents, all of whom shall be affiliated members. With the exception of the Student Vice-Presidents, the elected officers shall not be students. Additional offices to be held by faculty/staff, students, or alumni may be established as the chapter may prescribe. These officers together with the immediate Past President shall constitute the chapter Executive Committee.
- Section 2. Election of Officers.
a. The President-Elect, Secretary, and Treasurer shall be elected by mail ballot before the end of the spring semester. The President-Elect shall serve for two years, then become President. The Secretary and Treasurer are also elected to serve terms of two years. The Member-at-Large shall be appointed by the executive board for a term of one year.
b. The Student Members-at-Large shall be elected by the student membership. Before the end of the academic year, but after the induction of new student members, students will be asked to self-identify if they would like to serve on the Executive Committee for the following academic year. Ballots will then be sent to all returning student members, with the top two being declared the Student Members-at-Large.
c. The slate of elected officers shall be sent promptly, and in no case later than June 15, to the Executive Director of the Society.
- Section 3. Duties of Officers.
a. It shall be the duty of the President to call and preside at all meetings of the chapter and of the Executive Committee, to appoint committees deemed necessary or helpful in furthering the business of the Society, to vote in behalf of the chapter on ballots and other materials sent to the chapter by National Headquarters, and to fulfill the other usual responsibilities of the office of the President.
b. It shall be the duty of the President-Elect to preside at meetings in the absence of the President and to succeed to the Presidency in the event of death, incapacity, or resignation of the President.
c. The Secretary is responsible for maintaining records and supplies for the chapter. It shall be his/her duty to keep and publish minutes of chapter and Executive Committee meetings, to maintain correspondence and other files related to the National Office and affairs of the chapter, to prepare with the assistance of the Registrar lists of eligible candidates to be voted on by the chapter, and to prepare materials and documents required for the initiation of candidates. It shall also be the duty of the Secretary to disseminate news of chapter activities to the various media, and to submit news items for the Phi Kappa Phi Focus (the national newsletter) to the National Office, and to take whatever other steps he/she deems advisable to promote the purposes of the chapter and the Society.
d. The Treasurer is to receive, and deposit, and account for all monies received by the chapter from dues and other sources, to pay all bills approved by the Executive Committee, to arrange for the investment of all funds not required for current operation, to prepare an annual budget and arrange for an annual audit of the record books, to prepare an annual report of the financial condition of the chapter, and to prepare and submit reports required by the National Office.
- Section 4. Duties of the Executive Committee. It shall be the responsibility of the Executive Committee to supervise annual and long-range planning of chapter activities, to advise and assist chapter officers and committees, to have jurisdiction over matters pertaining to the chapter but not provided for in these Bylaws or in the National Bylaws, to elect delegates to the general and special conventions of the Society, and in the event of the loss of any chapter officer by reason of death, incapacity, or resignation to appoint a temporary officer, as necessary, to serve until the election of new officers.
- Section 1. Calling of Meetings. Chapter meetings will be held upon call of the President or the Executive Committee. All active members shall be duly notified of chapter meetings by the Secretary.
- Section 2. Quorum. Ten Affiliated Members--Including at least a majority of the Executive Committee, shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at any regular or special meeting.
- Section 2. Procedure. In all matters not specified by these Bylaws or the National Bylaws, the procedures set forth in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall be used.
ARTICLE V -- Fees, Dues and Assessments
- Section 1. Initiation Fees. Each newly elected member before initiation shall pay to the National Headquarters, through the chapter Treasurer, an initiation fee established by the Society entitling him/her to a membership certificate and a standard badge. Also included in this fee are the first year’s national dues, which entitle the member to a one-year subscription to the Phi Kappa Phi Forum (the Phi Kappa Phi journal) and the Newsletter. In addition, he/she shall at the same time pay an initiation fee established by the chapter, which shall be equivalent to the current year’s chapter dues, such monies to be used to pay expenses incurred by the chapter for initiation ceremonies and other activities. No membership shall be valid unless these fees have been paid.
- Section 2. Active Membership Dues. All active members other than those newly initiated shall pay to the National Office local annual dues in an amount determined by vote of the chapter together with national annual dues in an amount determined by the Society’s Board of Directors. All dues payments shall be made to the National Office in response to the annual dues statement sent to each member.
Obligations to the National Organization
- Section 1. Reports. Chapters shall submit by the specified date certain reports to National Headquarters. These include, but are not limited to, the chapter Officer List, the Annual Report and the Chapter Finance Report.
- Section 2. Initiation Materials. Chapters shall submit all initiation materials including the Transmittal Checklist, Permanent Record of Election Forms and funds to National Headquarters within 30 days of the initiation.
- Section 3. National/Regional Meeting Participation. Chapters shall send appropriate delegates to regional meetings and national conventions.
- Section 1. Amendments. These Bylaws may be amended by the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the active members voting by mail ballot, provided the proposed amendment or amendments have been given to the affiliated members in writing thirty days prior to the meeting.
- Section 2. Limitations. All amendments to these Bylaws shall be in harmony with the Bylaws of The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, Inc.