Dana Student Internship Program
About the Program
Over one thousand students have been served in projects during the 15+ year history of the Dana Student Internship Program. The program is designed to provide educationally valuable work experiences for those students currently receiving need-based financial aid from Ithaca College. Awards are highly competitive and are generally limited to current freshman, sophomore, and junior students with a 3.0 GPA or above. These students may be awarded Dana Internships in addition to other forms of financial aid. To comply with INS regulations, international students who apply for an off-campus Dana Student Internship during the summer must enroll for credit and demonstrate that the credit fulfills a curricular requirement for their degree.
Proposal Review Criteria
▪ Educational value of the experience.
▪ A plan for active mentoring by the supervisor.
▪ The variety and range of student learning (e.g. Is the student learning about a large issue or a complex organization, as well as about his or her own assignment?).
▪ Availability of situations in which the student can ‘own’ part of the work, taking personal credit for some product or reflecting through further students, the nature of the disciplines involved.
Faculty Proposal Information
Projects must involve a learning/research/work activity that will be supervised by you and are important to you, the student, and Ithaca College. While general proposals without specific student assignments can be submitted by faculty and staff, it is highly recommended that you discuss your proposal with one or more students who might be eligible. In order to ensure a fair review, the Dana Review Group will evaluate the qualifications of student applicants separately from faculty project proposals, but the “match” is more identifiable when the faculty/staff member and the student have collaborated on the proposal.
Awards range from $3,375 during the academic year to as much as $5,100 for full-time summer internships. A portion of the award is paid directly to the student over the course of the summer or academic year, with the remainder applied to the student’s College account.
Student Eligibility Requirement
Students wishing to apply MUST file a FAFSA for academic year 2014-2015 by February 1 2014. Students can be pre-screened for financial aid eligibility by contacting Barbie Bargher, Assistant Director for Student Financial Services, at email@example.com or 274-3131. Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher, must be receiving need-based financial aid from Ithaca College, and must be a current freshman, sophomore, or junior student.
Ithaca College faculty, staff, and students interested in the Dana Student Internship Program are invited to submit applications and project proposals to be considered for Summer 2014 and 2014-2015 Academic Year.
The submission deadline is February 14, 2014.
To be considered for this program please follow the application process listed below.
1. Fill out a Dana Internship Student Application 2014
2. Email your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Request two letters of recommendation to be sent to email@example.com
4. Students must file a FAFSA for the 2014 -2015 academic year to qualify.
1.Fill out a Dana Internship Faculty/Supervisor Application 2014
2. If you have a particular student in mind for your project, please have the student follow the above mentioned student application process.
Notification of project acceptance will occur on or around March 25, 2014.