Diversity Leadership Internship Program
A select group of outstanding minority college students reside in Washington, D.C. for ten weeks in the summer to examine leadership and its development, particularly as it relates to the diverse needs of minority communities. Students critically analyze and test personal leadership styles, while they develop the experience and strategies for effective service in their communities and the nation. The program includes a leadership seminar, a speaker series, group exercises, and an internship. (There are also internship programs available for the spring and fall semesters; for more information on these visit the Web Site.)
Many of the Fellows attend the program through the co-sponsorship of a donor and the college or university in which the student is enrolled. The Washington Center covers program costs and housing expenses, and the home institution provides $125 per week toward living expenses. Academic credit can be earned, subject to arrangements with the home institution.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident belonging to one of the following minority groups: African American, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino, Native-American, or Pacific Islander.
- Be enrolled in a two or four-year accredited institution of higher education and be at least a sophomore in good academic standing.
- Demonstrate personal initiative and an active role in campus or community affairs, maturity, and an explicit desire and commitment to serve the broad welfare of their communities and the nation.
Applications must be received on the Provost's Office by
- June 2009 (for fall semester enrollment)
- November 15, 2009 for spring semester enrollment)
Other deadlines sometimes apply
- Deadline for Spring 2009 Quarter: January 16, 2009.
- Early deadline range for Fall 2009 Semester, Quarter and Postgraduate: January 23, 2009.
- Competitive deadline for Summer 2009 Term (Quarter and Postgraduate): February 2, 2009.
Click below to download a printer-friendly version of this information.
|Download Diversity Leadership Internship Program
PDF Document - Size: 30 kB