Frequently Asked Questions
Does Your Project Need HSR Review?
It may be sometimes difficult to tell if a project needs to be reviewed by the HSR. Your research project should be submitted to HSR if it involves the collection of data from human subjects and fits the definition listed as follows. “Research” is defined as a systematic investigation designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge through public dissemination such as published articles, presentations, and poster displays.
NOTE: If there is a possibility that the results will be published, cited in another paper, presented on a poster display, used in a thesis or essay, for example, the project should be reviewed by HSR – retrospective review is NOT possible.
The following research proposals that fit the criteria listed above should be filed with HSR:
• All research involving human subjects conducted on campus by anyone, i.e., College-affiliated researchers (including faculty, staff, students, and administrators) and outside personnel.
• All research involving human subjects conducted by anyone affiliated with the College whether the research is conducted on campus or off campus.
- I am applying for a grant, and may conduct research later on in relation to the grant. I am not sure yet (or am not sure yet just how) the research will be carried out. What do I do?
- What if my study involves participants who are under the age of 18?
- How much technical terminology should I include in my proposal?
- Whose experience should be included under "Related Experience of the Researcher(s)"?
- What if I think there are no risks in this study?
- View all questions in this category…
- Can students present their research at conferences inside and outside of the College if they go through Delegated Review?
- I am an instructor of a research methods course and have multiple student projects per semester. Can I review the projects myself in place of the HSR board?
- Do I need Informed Consent if I am doing an exempt project?
- If my study is exempt, does this mean that I do not need HSR review?
- What projects are exempt from oversight?
- I know my project is not exempt, now what do I do?
- What activities qualify for expedited review?
- What is the difference between expedited and standard review?