Residence Director Job Description
Select, train and supervise undergraduate Residential Life staff and manage operational functions in assigned residence halls. Provide services directly to students such as personal and disciplinary counseling and developmental, cultural, and educational programming. Coordinate administrative operations. Maintain liaison relationships with other Student Affairs and Campus Life Offices. Participate in the overall planning and management of the residence hall system.
This position reports to the Area Coordinator and supervises all undergraduate Residential Life staff assigned to their respective residence hall(s) and or apartment(s).
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supervise undergraduate students working as Resident Assistants in College residence halls and/or on-campus apartments.
- Coordinate and administer the overall Residential Life Program, including both student development and operations components, in assigned residence halls.
- Recruit, select, and train Resident Assistants; monitor work performance for accuracy and completeness in accordance with Department and College goals and objectives; ensure compliance of staff with established Residential Life policies and procedures.
- Develop and implement staff training and development programs in conjunction with Area Coordinator and Associate Director for the Offices of Residential Life and Judicial Affairs.
- Evaluate the performance of Resident Assistants on a regular basis and during the yearly departmental evaluation process.
- Serve as primary personal counseling resource for staff and students in dealing with specific residence hall problems including roommate conflicts, personal and emotional problems, diversity issues, and other developmental concerns. Be cognizant of the special needs and concerns of minority students and initiate programming and other efforts in the halls to address these needs and concerns.
- Develop a familiarity with campus and community resources to ensure timely, efficient referrals when appropriate.
- Establish and maintain communication with students living in the residence halls through individual contacts, meetings, and discussions. Serve as a mediator/facilitator when necessary to provide resolutions for interpersonal conflicts between students. Coordinate implementation of roommate agreement and community agreement process.
- Meet with students and serve as Judicial Hearing Officer for students referred for disciplinary concerns; enact appropriate judicial sanctions and/or personal counseling to effectively resolve disciplinary problems in consultation with the Area Coordinator and Assistant Director of Judicial Affairs.
- Develop and maintain awareness of community issues for students in the residence halls through communication with area Residential Life staff and initiate efforts to respond to such issues.
- Work with Resident Assistants to assess student needs and interests; anticipate and promote educational, cultural, social, recreational, and service programs, which are supportive to the residence community.
- Cultivate, coordinate, and assist in the development of student leadership and responsibility through programming and direct involvement with students. Sponsor or assist in sponsorship of programs in residence halls.
- Manage operational functions for residence halls such as key distribution and collection, damage assessment, reporting and billing, maintenance requests, and hall openings and closings. Serve as facility manager for residence halls including conducting room checks, reporting and following up on housekeeping, maintenance and mover requests.
- Select, supervise, train, and evaluate student office assistant(s).
- Maintain Resident Assistant programming, staff development, and office supply budgets and monitor expenditures. Provide leadership for Resident Assistant staff in setting goals for the year.
- Assist Area Coordinator and Assistant Director for Operations in the planning of renovation work needed in the halls.
- Manage and coordinate all room assignments and changes in the halls and communicate/resolve problems in accordance with established procedures. Respond to all inquiries, problems, and complaints from students, staff, and parents related to the halls.
- Assist the Area Coordinator and Assistant Director for Operations in making recommendations for the purchase of furnishings and equipment, improvement of housekeeping services, and preventative maintenance and safety measures. Act to control unnecessary/unreasonable hall damages and vandalism. Maintain effective working relationships with Facilities Attendants, Office of Facilities, Office of Public Safety, Counseling Center, and other Student Affairs and Campus Life and College offices.
- Assume "on-call" responsibility for all area residence halls on a scheduled basis.
- Participate in the overall planning and management of the residence hall system and provide input in the development of policies and procedures. Participation on task forces, and group goal planning and objective setting.
- Assume an alternative summer assignment such as orientation conference housing and housing assignments.
Bachelor's degree and previous work experience in a residential life/housing facility at a college or university. Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated leadership and supervisory abilities are required. The incumbent will also be required to live in the residence hall 12 months per year. Master's degree preferred.
Most of the work of the incumbent is carried out within a generally accessible, safe, indoor environment. The incumbent will be required to operate a personal computer and associated equipment such as computer printers as well as other office equipment used in day-to-day operations. The incumbent will be required to live in the residence hall 12 months per year. The incumbent will have 'on-call' responsibilities and will be required to respond to emergency and other situations during and after normal business hours.