FYRE Peer Mentor
FYRE Peer Mentors are returning student leaders who are trained in campus resources and academic support services. FYRE PMs will be assigned to work with a cohort of first-year students living in mixed population halls to deliver the FYRE programming model. FYRE Peer Mentors will work collaboratively with Faculty/Staff Associates to plan and implement theme programs that relate to the Integrative Core Curriculum (ICC).
FYRE Peer Mentor responsibilities
- Provide leadership for a cohort of 30-35 first-year students in 1-4 residence halls within close proximity.
- Plan and implement six (6) ICC theme related programs each semester in collaboration with a Faculty/Staff Associate.
- Plan social 1-2 social events with the cohort group each block. Collaborate with RA(s) when possible.
- Hold individual 1:1 meetings with FY cohort students, twice in the fall, and once in block 3. The purpose of the individual meeting is to talk about transition to IC, academic progress, and to answer any questions about college living and campus resources.
- Attend a weekly staff meeting for ongoing training and information sharing.
- Participate in Opening weekend August 24-25, 2013. Assist with residence hall check in and move in, and greeting students and families.
- Bring students to fall welcome events including Convocation, the First Year Reading Initiative, Dr. Maura Cullen, and the first year featured speaker.
- Recruit students for and attend FYRE Tradition events including: Amazing Race program, opening football game, and end of year celebration (FYRE Ball or Moving Up Ceremony).
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include: Sophomore or higher class standing; Previous experience as a student leader, including but not limited to, Resident/Apartment Assistant, Orientation Leader, Student Government and RHA, Diversity Peer Educator, or Student Leadership Consultant; Experience with event/program planning; and ability to work autonomously. Previous experience with FYRE or first-year experience programs is preferable. Current RAs are not eligible for this position.