2012: Climate Change and Natural Disasters
The third annual Media for Social Responsibility (M4SR) mini-course took place Thursday, March 29 –
Saturday, March 31, 2012.
In 2012, the course expanded its reach to include participants from international schools located in China (Beijing), Haiti, Hong Kong, Liberia, South Korea, and Singapore.
Brief outline of course:
Thursday, March 29:
Keynote address by Sam Champion, weather anchor on Good Morning America and weather editor for ABC News.
Friday, March 30:
Case studies of media industry responses to weather disasters.
Saturday, March 31:
Student teams developed a media industry strategy for dealing with a mock weather disaster. During the process, the students were mentored by local media professionals, professors, and alumni.
Guest Speakers for the course included:
- Cheryl Seminara, Ph.D., ’87, Education Policy Advisor, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Washington DC;
- Ed Tobias ’70, Manager, Business Continuity & Disaster Planning, Associated Press, Washington, DC;
- Peter King ’78, Correspondent, CBS Radio Network, Orlando, Florida;
- Danny Schechter, Emmy Award-Winning Television Producer, Independent Filmmaker, Blogger & Media Critic, New York, NY;
- Carlos Miranda Levy, renowned Social Entrepreneur and Communications Technologist, Founder at Relief 2.0, Digital Television Fellow, Stanford University and Disaster Relief & Recovery Specialist, Tokyo; and
- Carla Ortiz, Actress & Philanthropist, Founder, Carla Ortiz Foundation, Bolivia and Los Angeles, CA.