The Ithacan Takes NYPA, SPJ, CSPA, and Apple Awards
In April, the Society of Professional Journalists recognized the paper with four awards in its Northeast Regional competition:
* Mark of Excellence Award, First Place, Best Non-Daily Newspaper
* Mark of Excellence Award, Second Place, In-Depth Reporting -- Erin Geismar '09, "Life in the Jungle," published September 27, 2007
* Mark of Excellence Award, Second Place, Feature Writing -- Erin Geismar '09, "What Lies Beneath," published May 3, 2007
* Mark of Excellence Award, Third Place, Feature Photography -- Emma Strachman '09 and Michael Vasios '10, "Celebrating Tradition," published September 27, 2007
The New York Press Association honored the Ithacan with seven awards:
* Best Overall Student Newspaper
* First Place for General Excellence
* First Place for Overall Sports Coverage
* Second Place for Best Editorial
* Third Place for Best Design
* First Place for Best News Story -- Erin Geismar '09, "Living below the Line"
* Second Place for Best Feature Story -- Thomas Pardee (now a student at Columbia College in Chicago), "Snake Charmer"
The Ithacan received two first-place Gold Circle Awards from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association for overall tabloid design and feature writing.
The paper also won its third consecutive Apple Award for best of show at the National College Media Convention in New York City in March. The paper has won the award five times in the seven years it has been presented.
Originally published in Intercom: The Ithacan Takes NYPA, SPJ, CSPA, and Apple Awards.