Independent/Progressive Media Internships
The Park Center for Independent Media sponsors a summer internship program aimed at giving justice-oriented students the opportunity to work at some of the best independent/progressive media institutions and advocacy nonprofits in the nation. Participating students are awarded financial stipends (from $1,500 to $2,700).
In recent summers, students have worked at many leading independent media organizations. Here's a partial list:
- The American Prospect, DC
- Bilerico Project, DC
- Brave New Films, Los Angeles
- Center for Corporate Policy, DC
- Center for Media and Democracy, Madison, WI
- Center for Public Integrity, DC
- City Limits, NYC
- CommonDreams, Portland, ME
- Damascus Citizens, Frackville, PA
- Democracy Now!, NYC
- E Magazine, Norwalk, CT
- FAIR, NYC
- Free Press, Florence, MA, or D.C.
- Free Speech TV, Denver
- GRITtv, NYC
- In These Times, Chicago
- Indypendent, NYC
- Insignia Films, NYC
- Institute for Policy Studies, DC
- Institute for Public Accuracy, DC
- Link TV, SF and LA
- Lumiere Productions, NY
- Making Contact/Nat'l Radio Project, Oakland, CA
- MediaChannel.org, NYC
- Media Matters, D.C.
- Mother Jones, San Francisco or DC
- The Nation Institute, NYC
- Philadelphia Weekly, Philadelphia
- Prometheus Radio Project, Philadelphia
- The Real News Network, Baltimore, MD
- Rustbelt Radio, Pittsburgh
- Seven Stories Press, NYC
- Transient Pictures, NYC
- Urbanite magazine, Baltimore
- Working Films, Wilmington, NC
Other internship possibilities (partial list)
Expect to work at the internship a minimum of 25 hours per week, at least 8 weeks (with some exceptions).
Students are selected for the program through a competitive application process – generally requiring a minimum 3.25 GPA and a minimum of 45 credit hours earned by the time the internship begins. They receive academic credit (between 1 and 3 credits), for which they pay tuition fees and are awarded the $1,500 to $2,700 stipend to help defray the costs of the internship. The tuition fee for Summer 2015 is $1,186 per credit.
Students must complete a sexual harassment prevention workshop before they can begin their internships. Click here for more info.
For questions about Independent Media Internships, contact Brandy or center director Jeff Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org.