Mentoring Expectations for the Student
- What are your goals for this mentoring relationship? What do you hope to achieve through the mentorship?
- What actions can you and your mentor take to achieve these goals?
- What kind of mentor would you like?
- Most mentees meet with their mentor via telephone. If you desire in-person meetings, request a mentor in your target area. Or, consider a mentor in the city where you are interested in working.
- Don’t delay. Once you get a mentor match, contact your mentor (email or phone) within a week.
- Officially, the mentor/mentee relationship is the school year, but may extend longer.
- A starting point is to attach your resume to your initial email to introduce your background.
- Establish when and how you will contact each other
- Can you set up a schedule of phone meetings?