Driving College Owned and Rented Vehicles

Only Ithaca College faculty and staff who have been approved to drive vehicles, through the Office of Risk Management, are authorized to reserve and operate College-owned or rented vehicles (through a rental agency such as Enterprise).  Students also need to be approved drivers, but students are only allowed to operate a vehicle in the United States.  (see Ithaca College Policy Manual, 2.16).

Student Driving
All students seeking to drive vehicles owned, leased, or rented by the College must be 21+ years of age, submit a Driver Information Form, have an acceptable MVR report, and successfully complete a mandatory driver safety course offered online by the Office of Risk Management.  Please note: Students drivers must be changed after 3 hours of driving.  After the initial approval, a student must resubmit his or her driver form every twelve months and also pass a written test on driver safety in the Office of Risk Management.  Prior to taking the test a student may wish to review the Student Driver Handbook which can be found here. Information on the student driver safety course can be found here. (Please note: Pennsylvania drivers must submit an additional mandatory consent form.)

Domestic Vehicle Rentals (United States), Including Puerto Rico
If renting a vehicle in the United States, including Puerto Rico, there is no need to purchase the collision damage waiver that is offered by the rental agency.  However, if an accident occurs that involves any injuries or damage to the rental vehicle, another vehicle, or other property damage (to a structure, building, guardrail, etc.), it must be reported immediately to risk management, no matter how minor the injury or damage is.  The incident also needs to be reported to the rental agency immediately.

Faculty and Staff Driving
All faculty and staff intending to drive vehicles owned, leased, or rented by the College must submit a Driver Information Form and receive approval prior to operating a vehicle(s).  Faculty and staff must resubmit their driver forms every two academic years. (Please note: Pennsylvania drivers have an additional mandatory consent form.)

International Vehicle Rentals
Employees who rent a vehicle outside of the United States, except for Canada, must purchase the collision damage waiver offered by the rental agency.  Employees must be approved College drivers prior to arranging for and operating a vehicle in another country.  Please view "Rental Vehicles Allowed" for the types of vehicles that can be rented under the College name.  Students are not allowed to operate vehicles outside of the United States.  Any accident or injury needs to be reported immediately to the local police and to the risk management office, even if it is considered minor.

Motor Vehicle Accident Reporting Procedures
Please review the Motor Vehicle Accident Procedures and Emergency Contact Brochure before driving vehicles owned, leased, or rented by the College.

Rental Vehicles Allowed
If renting a vehicle from an outside rental agency (e.g., Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, an international agency, etc.), only minivans and compact, mid-size, and full-size cars can be rented under Ithaca College policies. For more information related to renting a vehicle at a local Enterprise agency, please visit the Travel Services website.

If a department needs to rent a large vehicle for special purposes (e.g., a U-Haul van/truck), please contact Risk Management prior to making any rental arrangements. Only College employees who are approved College drivers and have sufficient experience driving large vehicles may drive such vehicles. Students are only permitted to drive smaller vehicles and in the United States only (e.g., sedan, minivan, etc.). It is common for a rental company to issue a rental agreement and request evidence of auto insurance from the College. A rental agreement is considered a contract; therefore, it would be governed by the College's contract policy.  Only certain individuals at the College have signatory authority, which is stated in the contract policy.

Transporting Individuals Not Affiliated with Ithaca College
As a general principle, only Ithaca College faculty, staff and students should occupy College-owned or rented vehicles. However, there may be special circumstances when a spouse, member of another college or university community, or other individuals will join the College representative to a common business purpose destination. These situations should be the exception, not the norm, and when they do occur, the Office of Risk Management should be informed of them in advance.

For additional information on obtaining permission to drive college vehicles and traveling with individuals other than Ithaca College faculty, staff, or students, please see the Ithaca College Policy Manual, section 2.16.