For Family and Friends
Welcome Family and Friends!
It is important to know that you play a vital role in the life of your student. Research shows that families often have a strong influence on a students' career decision making, adjusting to college, developing self confidence and autonomy. Our goal is to prepare you with the information and resources necessary to help your student make sound decisions and to partner with us to encourage your student to take advantage of the services we have to offer.
Career Services is committed to teaching our students the necessary career development skills not just for immediately after graduation, but for a lifetime. We recognize that this is a partnership between us, the student, educators on our campus, the recruiters that we work with, and you. In order to ensure that students get the most from this partnership, we want to highlight some things that you specifically can do to help, as well as some things that we can do together.
What You Can Do
- Read Career Services Creating a Four Year Plan
- Discuss your own career choices and share your experiences
- Encourage involvement in clubs and organizations as well as "real world" experiences
- Actively listen and provide support
- Encourage action and exploration
- Allow your student to make their own choices
- Be ready for change
- Try not to be judgmental
What We Can Do Together
- Teach the skills necessary for students to make sound career decisions
- Encourage students to our services throughout their college career
- Provide continual support to them, even as alumni
Want to Help Our Students?
Many family members and friends work at organizations that offer jobs and internships. We are always looking to build new relationships in order to make more opportunities available to our students and alumni. If you are responsible for this area in your organization and can help, please let us know. If you are not the person responsible for jobs and internships, but can put us in touch with the individuals who are, we would greatly appreciate it. To help, simply contact:
John Fracchia, Associate Director
Kristin LiBritz, Assistant Director of Alumni and Employer Relations
Cheryl Boyer, Administrative Assistant