Job and Internship Search
Before starting your job or internship search, it is important for you to think about what career might be the best fit for you. Here are some helpful tips to assist you with the process:
- Find out who you are. Evaluate your values, skills, interests and abilities. Determine what you enjoy doing and what skills you prefer to use. This information can help you to decide upon different career opportunities.
- Conduct informational interviews or job shadows to learn first hand what your field is about. Consider attending Take an Ithacan to Work Week.
- Think about geographical preferences and your ideal work environment (size and office culture). Research specific companies and job descriptions. Start a job or internship search file.
- Network with family, friends, alumni and past employers who may be able to help in the process. Consider attending a local Speed Networking Event or Network Nights.
- Have your resume and cover letter critiqued multiple times, including by Career Services.
- Use Career Services' Online Resources to help you with your search process.
For further information, refer to the "Job and Internship Search Strategies" and "Networking and Professional Etiquette" sections of the Ithaca College Career Guide.
FRESHMEN, SOPHOMORES & JUNIORS: Tell us about your summer internship plans by completing the INTERNSHIP QUESTIONNAIRE (you can indicate whether we can share your internship plans publicly or only use the information for statistics).