Job and Internship Search
Deciding on, finding, and applying for jobs or internships is an important process. Career Services offers individualized career counseling, job/internship search assistance, various online and print resources, and multiple on- and off-campus events to help you along the way. Here are some helpful quick tips to assist you with finding a job or internship, and be sure to check out our Upcoming Events and Online Resources:
- Find out who you are. Evaluate your interests, skills and values. This information can help you to decide upon different career opportunities.
- Conduct informational interviews or job shadows to learn firsthand what your field is about. Consider participating in Take an Ithacan to Work Week. Also, research occupations using O*Net and OOH.
- Think about geographical preferences and your ideal work environment (size and office culture). Research specific companies and job descriptions, and save them in self-created files using CareerShift.
- Have your resume and cover letter critiqued multiple times, including by Career Services.
- Attend recruiting events on and off campus including the Job and Internship Fair and on-campus interviews.
- Network with family, friends, alumni, professors and past employers who may be able to help in the process. Consider attending a local Speed Networking event or Network Nights.
- Start a job/internship application and follow up file.
- Use Career Services' Online Resources to help you with your search process.
- Be prepared for a conversation about salary. See the "Salary Negotiation" section of the Ithaca College Career Guide.
For further information, refer to the "Job and Internship Search Strategies" and "Networking and Professional Etiquette" sections of the Ithaca College Career Guide.