ITHACA COLLEGE recognizes the importance of strengthening the student connection to the College and laying the foundation for student success during the first year. The Ithaca College First-Year Experience (FYE) is the foundation of the Ithaca Experience! The First-Year Experience is a comprehensive set of academic and educational programs that assist new students in making a successful transition to the vibrant and diverse Ithaca College residential community of learners.
THE FIRST-YEAR EXPERIENCE connects students to the people, programs and resources necessary to provide a strong foundation for academic success and personal growth. The First-Year Experience consists of a range of activities that are delivered via integrated programs offered through both Student Affairs and Campus Life and Academic Affairs. The First-Year Experience responds to a common institutional vision and purpose, "fostering intellect, creativity, and character in an active, student-centered learning community."
Goals of the First-Year Experience
- To establish a connection to the college
- To engage in a shared learning experience
- To acquire knowledge and skills for self-directed learning and academic achievement
- To understand the roles and responsibilities and benefits of membership in a community of learners
- To expose students to diverse ideas, experiences, and people
- To provide students with services and support to be academically and socially successful