Ithaca College requires all undergraduate students who are enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours, and all graduate students enrolled for 3 credit hours to have health insurance. In an effort to increase access to health care, Ithaca College has partnered with Nationwide Life Insurance Company to provide a plan with comprehensive coverage for Ithaca College students. This plan is serviced by University Health Plans. The charge to obtain coverage under this plan from August 10th, 2013, through August 9th, 2014, is $1,120.
In order to ensure that all students have health insurance coverage, all student accounts will initially be charged for the plan. If you wish to opt out of this plan and have the $1,120 charge removed from your account, you must submit an online waiver form and provide proof of current health insurance coverage prior to the waiver deadline.
Please visit www.universityhealthplans.com to enroll in or waive out of the plan by August 10th, 2013. Instructions can be found on line or in the enclosed flyer. THE HEALTH INSURANCE FEE WILL BE NON-REFUNDABLE IF NOT WAIVED BEFORE 8/10/13.
To expedite enrollment in the plan, students are encouraged to submit the online enrollment form. Students may also elect to add dependents to their plan for an additional premium. Students who are enrolled in the plan for the 2012-2013 policy year should submit the online enrollment form for the 2013-2014 policy year as soon as possible to avoid a disruption in coverage.
If you are covered by your family’s or spouse’s insurance plan, we encourage you to compare the costs, coverage, and benefits of the student health insurance plan to those of your existing plan before making any decision about your health insurance.
Consider the following in making your decision:
- Students with out of state HMO/PPO plans often incur higher charges when obtaining care out of the network and access to local services in Ithaca may be limited
- Some insurance plans only cover urgent or emergent care when care is obtained out of network
- This plan includes coverage for preventive and well care services, has a low deductible, and a prescription plan.
- Some plans do not cover outpatient referrals, or may only cover them after a high deductible or co-payment; this plan can help cover those expenses.
- Coverage through parents’ policies may end once a student reaches a certain age.
You should also be aware that all enrolled and matriculated Ithaca College students are able to access care at the Hammond Health Center regardless of your decision to keep or to waive the student health insurance plan. There are no charges for most of the services provided at the health center.
Please call University Health Plans at 1-800-437-6448 if you have questions regarding the student health insurance plan.