Summer Break Resources
The staff of the Center for LGBT Education, Outreach and Services knows that being back at home - or where ever your summer destination - can be wonderful, but sometimes stressful. The list of resources below can provide information, support and diversion for you. The LGBT Resource Room will re-open at the start of the fall semester. We wish you a safe and happy summer break!
Need to prepare?
These sites have information about family relationships and tips for interacting with family and friends:
A download able document with advice for coming out
Want to Know Common Questions Parents Ask? Try this PFLAG publication.
Need someone to talk to? Need some help? Need some support?
Ithaca College numbers that you can call:
Counseling Center: 607-274-3136
Additional Emergency Assistance info for Ithaca College students
The Trevor Project: (866) 488-7386
This is a national suicide prevention helpline that operates 24 hours, 7 days a week. The hotline is aimed at helping LGBT and questioning youth. The Trevor Project also now offers scheduled livechat sessions.
The Gay and Lesbian National Hotline: (888) 843-4564
This line provides confidential peer-counseling, information and local resources. The line operates Monday through Friday from 4pm to midnight and Saturday from noon to 5pm, Eastern Time. You can also email them at glnh@GLBTNationalHelpCenter.org
The GLBT National Youth Talkline: (800) 246-7743 (youth serving youth through age 25)
This line provides confidential peer-counseling, information and local resources specifically to youth up to age 25. The line operates Monday through Friday from 8pm to midnight Eastern Time. You can also email them at youth@GLBTNationalHelpCenter.org
Need someone closer than that?
Find support in your community with this online directory of local LGBT community centers.
Still looking for things to fill your time? Try any or all of these, a list of ideas suggested by the LGBT Center student worker staff!
Fun Things to Do in the Summer:
1. Have a water balloon fight.
2. Go for a walk along the beach or a wooded path.
3. See the sunrise.
4. Watch the sunset.
5. Have a picnic in the park.
6. Walk a dog.
7. Make playdoh. (fun for kids of all ages…)
8. Climb a tree.
9. Read a novel (something just for you!)
10. Go to an amusement park or local county/state fair and ride all the thrill rides!
11. Go fishing.
12. Make homemade ice cream in a Ziploc bag.
13. Sit outside and sip iced tea.
14. Make fresh lemonade.
15. Camp out in a tent.
16. Catch fireflies.
17. Go to a nearby museum or gallery.
18. Cook a dinner for your family or friends.
19. Float in a pool.
20. Go to a pet adoption day and play with the baby cats and dogs. (PetsMart and other stores have them on weekends)
21. Finger paint. Get big paper and stretch it out on the porch or driveway.
22. Grow something. (flowers or delicious vegetables).
23. Eat watermelon outside, and spit the seeds.
24. Go to a playground and swing on the swings.
25. Make a dandelion chain.
26. Ride a bicycle down a hill.
27. Tie-Dye all your not-so-white-anymore clothing.
28. Lay on your back and watch clouds.
29. Go to a baseball game (major league, little league, whatever floats your boat.)
30. Walk in the grass barefoot.