LGBT & Tobacco
The LGBT Center was awarded a grant from the Tompkins County Health Department, Tobacco Control Coalition for a project on tobacco use prevention and cessation in Ithaca College LGBT students.
Research shows that rates of cigarette smoking among LGBT people are much higher than the general population, yet this subject is just beginning to receive attention.
The grant facilitated programming aimed at:
- Increasing knowledge of the health risks for LGBT tobacco users and non users.
- Increasing knowledge of ways tobacco companies target the LGBT community and create action plans to resist their tactics
- Promoting quitting and preventing initiation of tobacco use among LGBT students
Special events and services on this topic - ncluding workshops, Quit Kits, and film screenings - were provided during the grant periods, and continue to be offered periodically.
Sever the Ties - a short film produced by Roswell Park Cancer Center's Task Force for Tobacco-Free Women & Girls (featuring Lis Maurer)
- Project SCUM
- Smoking Out a Deadly Threat - Tobacco Use in the LGBT Community, by the American Lung Association
- Fact Sheet: Tobacco and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered communities
- Tobacco Free Maine
- Sexual orientation and tobacco use in a cohort study of US adolescent girls and boys
- National Cancer Institute
- National LGBT Tobacco Control Network