Student Organizations

Student Organization Travel

All student organization travel must be approved by Patti Banfield, Business and Operations Coordinator in the Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs

Approving Student Travel

Any time a recognized student organization leaves Ithaca for student organization-related business it is considered a travel experience and must be approved by the Business and Operations Coordinator. Traveling within Ithaca on behalf of a student organization to hold a meeting or run errands is permitted without approval.

Planning Before Departure

All student organizations who travel must submit one completed Travel Authorization Form must be submitted to the Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs for each travel occurrence. This form must be submitted before any arrangements are reserved or purchased. The signature of the student organization adviser is required on this form to be authorized. When completing this form, each student identifies as traveling with the student organization will be prompted to submit a  travel Participation Form. 

If there are any expenses or payments associated with a student organization’s travel, they must be communicated at least three (3) weeks in advance of the travel to the Business and Operations Coordinator. This includes, but is not limited to registration expenses, lodging costs, meals, gas, tolls, and related supplies. The Business and Operations Coordinator may be able to assist you with facilitating the process of payment that best accommodates each specific trip.

Student organizations that have been authorized for travel may be able to reserve an Ithaca College rental vehicles. In order to rent an IC Vehicle, organizations should make this request on the Travel Authorization Form IC Vehicles are available only on a first-come, first-served basis. It is critical that organizations plan ahead if they intend to rent Ithaca College vehicles. Students wishing to operate a rented vehicle must be 21+ years of age and submit a Driver Information Form, be approved by the College's insurance company, and successfully complete a mandatory, two-hour driver safety class offered by the Office of Risk Management. Please see the Office of Risk Management for more details about operating rented vehicles, and to find a list of dates for the driver safety class.

Considerations During Travel

Keep all your receipts! You will not be reimbursed for any out-of-pocket expenses if you do not collect and submit receipts. In addition, you will be required to track down any receipts missing for purchases made on an IC Credit Card.

Student organizations can borrow a credit card specifically designated for student organization travel. Travel credit cards are given out on a first come, first requested basis therefore it is important to identify your request on the Travel Authorization Form  and submit early.

Completing the Travel Process

Once the student organization returns from travel, the Business and Operations Coordinator will issue a completed Travel Expense Report Form , which lists all expenses made during the trip. A representative from the organization will be required to review the expense report and sign it to authorize all purchases made on the trip. Any student requesting reimbursement for out-of-pocket travel expenses will have a Travel Expense Report Form completed and will be required to review the document and sign it to authorize all purchases made on the trip.