Optional Enrichment Classes
When scheduling permits, students will be assigned to an age- or level-appropriate enrichment class. After carefully reading the following enrichment class options and requirements, please indicate first, second, and third choices in the spaces provided on the registration form.
Note: The institute cannot guarantee your first choice. Students who do not sign up for enrichment will not be assigned to this option.
- Children's Chorus is open to students ages 6 to 8. Emphasis will be on unison singing as well as simple rounds and partner songs.
- Youth Chorus is open to students ages 9 and up. The group includes both boys (with unchanged voices) and girls. Emphasis will be on two- and three-part singing. Music reading and prior chorus experience are helpful.
- Fiddling class is open to violinists in Book 3 or 4. Some experience with simple double-stops is helpful. Students will learn basic fiddle tunes in various styles by ear.
- Reading Orchestra is open to students with reading experience who do not meet the qualifications for orchestra. Students must be capable of reading half, quarter, and eighth notes, plus dotted quarter and eighth notes, in the keys of C, G, and D. The minimum Suzuki book level is violin Book 3, viola Book 2, or cello Book 2.
- Creative Movement/Dance class is available for all age groups. Activities include dances in the Suzuki literature (minuet, gavotte, and bourrée) as well as African and Bulgarian folk dances. Parents are welcome to participate with their children.
- Viola for Violinists will be offered during both weeks of the institute. Book 4 level and good reading skills are prerequisites. Violinists should supply their own viola whenever possible. A limited number of instruments will be available from the institute for a small fee.