Information for New Students

Information for Parents


SAS Parent’s Guide – What to Expect


Welcome to Ithaca College! Your son or daughter has been accepted and you have paid your deposit—within a week or so, you should get a letter from our office. The letter will direct students with disabilities to our website:

Please peruse this site and our information. The first step to registering with our office is to complete a Disability Identification Form.  If the student’s disability is related to special housing consideration, a Special Housing Request Form should also be completed. Both forms can be sent via email to: or faxed to 607-274-3957.  At this time, a file for the student will be created. 

If your student needs special housing as a result of their disability, a Special Housing request form for should be sent to Student Accessibility Services with accompanying documentation. Approved requests will be forwarded to Residential Life. Keep in mind, if you have a special housing request, it should be submitted as early as possible—housing situations and options can be limited.  Please note that housing requests for dietary reasons are first handled by Ithaca Dining Services.        

During orientation, the faculty advisor assigned to assist your student with his or her class registration will be informed of any issues on a “need-to-know-basis” regarding the student’s disability.

Upon arrival to campus in August, the student must phone for an appointment (607-274-1005) to set up accommodations for the semester.  At this point, SAS must have reviewed current, necessary documentation (as outlined in the guidelines) in order to process paperwork. The student’s schedule will be reviewed and if needed, Academic Adjustment Plans will be set up and sent to professors.  An appointment at the beginning of every semester must be made with the student’s SAS counselor to set up accommodations.

Every attempt will be made to process Academic Adjustment Plans and send to appropriate faculty within 72 hours of seeing a Student Accessibility Specialist.  Copies will also be sent to the student’s local address. 

If your student needs extended time and/or isolation for an exam/test, they MUST either phone (607-274-1005) or come to Student Accessibility Services at least three week days in advance of the test time.  We need to adhere to this time frame in order to request tests from professors, schedule proctors and secure testing space. We review the testing sign-up process with the student when meeting with them at the start of each semester.


Suggestions for family discussion:

As a young adult prepares for the transition to college, there are many questions and feelings about how accommodations are handled in this new environment.  As part of this transition process, we encourage families to talk together before the actual move to college.  Some areas of focus might include: the shift in roles for college students as they leave the high school environment, which methods of communicating work best for your family, as well as how a student’s strengths and challenges might impact choice and schedule of classes. The staff of SAS is available to answer questions or to discuss concerns related to academic and testing accommodations. 

We welcome the opportunity to be a resource to your student as well as to elicit your support in this significant transition. You have been advocating for your student since his/her diagnosis, and transition to college represents a change in some of these roles.  Recognizing that you have substantial knowledge regarding your student’s needs, we appreciate your sharing this important information with us.

Some helpful Internet resources:

To understand the differences between high school and college accommodations:

For some Frequently Asked Questions about the transition to college: