UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development
Since its launch in 2005, Ithaca College has been supportive of the goals and objectives of the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (2005-2014), the implementation of which has been advanced by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The U.S. Partnership for the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development offers a number of resources for American educators.
In particular, we have long encouraged our faculty who are developing curriculum that integrates sustainability content to consider the UNESCO guidelines that suggest that education for sustainable development should foster learning that:
- respects, values and preserves the achievements of the past;
- appreciates the wonders and the peoples of the Earth;
- creates the desire to live in a world where all people have sufficient food for a healthy and productive life;
- assesses, cares for and restores the state of our planet;
- works to establish a better, safer, more just world; and
- creates caring citizens who exercise their rights and responsibilities locally, nationally and globally.