Friday, April 27, 2012
In reverse order, here are Bill's top 10 memories of spring '12, with added commentary by Sarah and Claire (these really are Bill’s top 10, just like those were really his texts)
|Devon looking up Putney on her first day in London|
10. Arrival day, January 10th, 2012, we meet you: hectic for everyone, but sure gets the adrenalin running. It’s our ‘putting faces to names’ day…and the first day we heard that cheery laugh. Claire and Sarah mostly remember how open some of our students were about taking strangers into their hotel room on the first night. That was a very kind thing to do. (Just to clarify, the strangers were both our students, one of whom hadn’t been allocated a hotel room)
9. Welcoming our Provost, Dr Kelly, and VP Carl Sgrecci, and hosting the 40th anniversary reception. 40 not out!
8. Rounders’ day in Hyde Park, our first time playing the game which eventually turned into baseball; Sarah’s team sneaked a narrow victory over ‘southpaw’ Claire’s, partly through a rather liberal and some would say, dubious [or Welsh], interpretation of the rules. Sarah’s number 1 highlight of the year: beating Bill to the post and getting him out! The Welsh don’t just sing.
7. Discussing with my solicitors the 6 figure damages I might eventually receive from this blog post for interviewing me in absentia and putting words into my Listerine clean mouth that ‘might’ be there or might not. OK, OK, they probably are there somewhere, but don’t tell the ‘blog-meister’. Not as much as the damages Paul McCartney is seeking from Bill for libel.
|The prize for making it to the top of the Tor? Getting to be in this photo!|
6. Our first trip - the devil’s chair, the pilgrimage up the Tor, the medieval clock, scissors arch and ‘memento mori’ in Wells cathedral, overnighting in Bath, checking for curfew violators, having a staff meeting at 2am… For the record, no that wasn’t Sarah trying Bill’s door at 2am.
5.Our three ‘shows’ – voice concert, acting scenes and fights – give me back my crisps! Tons of talent. Claire’s happy that her ceiling hasn’t collapsed from stage combat yet.
4. Being lured away all too often from the grindstone by Professors Hrkach and Swafford in their bold attempt to find the hostelry that serves the ‘perfect pint’. Where were Sarah and Claire?
3. The ‘gap year’ ceilidh in the Leith church hall during the Edinburgh trip. I like raffles. Bill won 5 times in a row. This prompted Alex Holt to email Claire to ask if it was worth turning in the program evaluation as Bill seems to rig raffles.
2. Devon’s bagpipe ‘happy birthday’, preceded by the two candle bearing ‘altar girls’ [however charming, I regret to inform them that it’s probably too late to pursue a vocation in the church!] We disagree. We’re still planning on starting up our own order of nuns. It’s our third backup life-plan.
|The wind came first, then the hail.|
1. Teaching [oops..scratch that… that’s from another list]; numero uno has to be the hail storm & hurricane descending from Arthur’s seat; we almost needed to be helicoptered off! Don’t tell the home campus! Sarah will never forget the moment she turned around to see 4 students hugging the ground for dear life. She then turned to Bill and asked, “Seriously, what do we do if we lose students to the storm?” He didn’t answer.
Next, Bill’s top 10 spring ‘12 regrets…
Next » « Previous