What does "having a minor" actually mean?

Declaring a minor is a way to formally group courses in a subject area that might be related to your major or even quite different from your major. It allows you to explore a second or third (if you have two minors) area of interest.

A minor requires you to take (on average) an additional 18 credits in addition to the major requirements. Some minors, particularly in the sciences, require more credits for a minor. In addition to fulfilling major and minor requirements, you also need to complete all ICC requirements.

Often courses will overlap between the three (meaning a course for your major, might count toward your minor or a course for your minor might count toward the ICC). ICC Perspective courses can never count toward your major.

For a list of minors offered by Ithaca College, check out the Academic Programs link:


Is there any additional charge to have a minor?

In answer to your question, no, there is no additional cost for minors unless you find that you need to take summer courses or an extra semester in order to fulfill the minor requirements and graduate on time. It is a good idea to meet with a professional academic advisor in the Academic Advising Center or with your faculty advisor to see how extra majors and minors can fit into your 4-year plan.

When can I change my major?

The answer to this question really depends on what major you want to change from and which one you want to change to. The process of changing majors is slightly different for each school, but always involves completing a Change of Major request through IC Workflow.

Being that each school and department have different requirements it would be beneficial if you contact the Dean's office of your current school (see phone numbers below). You can also contact the Academic Advising Center by emailing advisingcenter@ithaca.edu or by calling 607-274-1001. This will allow an advisor to discuss the details of your situation and advise you accordingly.

Deans' Offices:

  • Business School: 607-274-3940
  • Health Sciences & Human Performance (HSHP): 607-274-3237
  • Park School of Communications: 607-274-1021
  • Humanities & Sciences Dean's Office: 607-274-3102
  • School of Music: 607-274-3171

How do I sign up for the class sharing at Cornell?

Information on the Ithaca College-Cornell University Exchange Program is available from the following section of the IC web site: https://www.ithaca.edu/ic-cu/

How can I change the schedule I created in Orientation?

Check the Office of the Registrar's website for important dates related to course registration.

To change your schedule, log into HomerConnect via the apps page.