The goals of the honors residential learning community (RLC) are:
- to develop a strong sense of community among students participating in the honors housing program;
- to offer an environment conducive to a free exchange of ideas as well as opportunities for discussion that integrate topics from students’ coursework;
- to provide additional out-of-class opportunities for students to interact with honors faculty members;
- to provide a community living experience that is supportive of students’ academic success and interests; and
- to promote honors students’ academic leadership.
The Honors RLC is in Lyon Hall and features a larger kitchen than other residence halls as well as a small computer lab. First-year students, along with some returning honors students, live together on the honors floor, where they have the advantage of meeting and interacting with veteran honors students who are familiar with the college and who can welcome them into the larger honors community. Special honors programming is also available to students in the Honors RLC. First-year students who live in the Honors RLC also benefit from First-Year Residential Experience (FYRE) programming.