Have an internship lined up and want to earn credit for it?

Here's how!

Identify a Faculty Sponsor.

  • Summer internship - choose a Park faculty member. Be sure to reach out to the faculty member first to ask.
  • Fall/Spring internship – Typically your sponsor will be the Career Engagement Specialist or you can choose a Park faculty member.

Fill out the application.

The internship application is on Handshake at https://ithaca.joinhandshake.com/experiences. They call them “Experiences.” It’s under the “Career Center” tab and you will want to “Request an Experience.” You should use the outline below to enter in the info and upload the required documents.

Attach supporting documents.

After you complete your application, go back and attach the following docs to your Handshake Internship Experience (there is a button for attaching documents):

  • Harassment Prevention completion certificate – take the online tutorial HERE.
  • Letter of agreement from the organization’s Site Supervisor to include:
    • Supervisor’s name and contact information
    • Internship start and end dates, and rough hours per week
    • Activities that you will engage in & how your responsibilities will increase over the term
    • What you will be learning (since you are receiving credit, it must be a learning opportunity with mentorship and support)
    • Description of the workspace/resources that will be provided. (Note that internships cannot be undertaken in a home office.)
    • Terms of compensation, if any
  • Resume – if you need help with your resume contact Suzanne Brache
  • Learning objectives - type these in your Handshake application (there is a section for Learning Objectives) describing:
    • What activities and responsibilities you will be assigned
    • Learning objectives for internship (what you will get from it & how it relates to major)
    • How you are prepared for this internship

Internship Frequently Asked Questions

  • You must complete 45 hours per credit registered.
  • You can work more than 45 hours, as negotiated with site supervisor.
  • Summer internships will be based on the per credit tuition determined by the Office of Extended Studies.
  • Fall/Spring internship are included in tuition as long as you don't exceed 18 credits.

No. Unless required by your internship site, you do not have to register for credit for an internship.

If your employer requires documentation of academic credit, we can send them a letter confirming this. Send Suzanne Brache  (sbrache@ithaca.edu) the name, title, and email address of the person requesting it.