Under the supervision of the Programs & Services Coordinator (PSC), the RAs perform duties similar to those of RAs working on the home campus, with an emphasis on event planning and fostering community at the AVA Toluca Hills apartments. The RAs must possess excellent communications and organizational skills and be able to work both independently and as a team member.
- Have fun!
- Foster community among ICLA students.
- Plan, promote, and lead on-campus and off-campus events.
- Attend mandatory training sessions prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Serve as a role model for staff and students both personally and professionally.
- Act as a liaison between the LA Program office and apartment personnel and security offices, particularly in the event of emergency situations.
- Act as an information source for students regarding the apartment facility, the surrounding area, and the LA Program.
- Enforce Ithaca College Residential Life rules and regulations and the Ithaca College Student Conduct Code.
- Conduct wellness and outreach rounds with assigned residents.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Submit weekly reports to the Programs & Services Coordinator.
- The RA team will organize and hold a semester kick-off cookout.
- Each RA is to organize, promote, and lead two events per month.
- The RAs will be responsible for updating the events bulletin board in the Pendleton Center.
ASSISTING IN ROOMMATE CONFLICTS
- RAs should be prepared to assist roommates who are dealing with inner-apartment conflict by encouraging open communications and respectful listening.
- RAs should keep the PSC aware of roommate conflicts and utilize the PSC as a resource as necessary.
DOING ROUNDS AT ASSIGNED APARTMENTS
- RAs are required to periodically visit the apartments they have been assigned to see how their residents are doing (adjusting to LA, getting along with roommates, etc.).
- Rounds should be done weekly for the first half of the semester, then biweekly for the remaining time.
- RAs will indicate which residents were visited on the weekly report and note any problems and situations that the Res Life staff should be aware of.
ENFORCING COLLEGE POLICY
- RAs will enforce all Ithaca College residence life rules AVA Toluca Hills rules.
- Must be an Ithaca College student accepted into the Los Angeles Program.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member.
- Fall and spring semester applicants must be registered as full-time during their Los Angeles Program semester.
- Ability to communicate well in group and individual situations.
- Ability to establish rapport with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to evaluate crisis situations and respond appropriately.
Applications and resumes for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 are due Thursday, March 5rd at 5pm Eastern Time. Applications for Spring 2021 RAs will be due in mid-September.
Resident Assistants receive a full housing stipend for the semester. RAs can select their own roommate and suite mates, or they can opt for placement with other students based on the available applicants.
- Attending RA Training is mandatory.
- Summer 2020 training: Monday, May 18, 2020
- Fall 2020 training: Sunday-Monday, August 16-17, 2020
TO APPLY: Complete the online RA application form by 5pm, Thurdsday, March 5th. After submitting your application, email your resumé to Jon Bassinger-Flores at firstname.lastname@example.org. Title your email "[Your Name] RA Resume." Your resumé should be one page and in pdf format.
Video interviews for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 RAs will be conducted from Monday - Wednesday, March 16-18. Phone interviews can be arranged if video is unavailable. Hiring decisions will be emailed by Friday, March 20.