Attendance and timeliness is a demonstration of professional behavior and conduct which impacts all members of the healthcare team, including fellow learners and patients. Any absence from the clinical rotation may have a direct impact on learner performance, the broad- spectrum clinical experience, evaluation of professionalism, overall grade, and the successful completion of the clinical rotation.
The PA learner should be involved in all activities that the preceptor would engage in during the clinical day. Learners are not exempt from on-call, evening, weekend, or holiday clinical responsibilities unless the preceptor has determined these activities are not contributory to the learners’ learning experience.
Learners are expected to attend all scheduled clinical rotation didactic conferences, lectures, workshops, and daily patient rounds. Mandatory sessions and participation requirements in the clinical phase are determined by the individual clinical rotation. Recognizing that situations arise that require learners to miss time from their lectures/clinical responsibilities, the procedures presented below will be followed when an unplanned absence is necessary.
- In the event of an illness or emergency necessitating absence from the clinical rotation, learners must notify both the Director of Clinical Education (DCE) and the clinical preceptor by 8:00 a.m. on the day of the absence. Learners should make every effort to reach, by phone, the clinical preceptor and DCE rather than utilizing voicemail and email. Learners are required to submit appropriate documentation supporting the reason for any unplanned absence(s).
- If a learner fails to report an absence, they will be required to make up the time missed from the clinical rotation and receive a 5-point deduction on the Clinical Preceptor End of Rotation Clinical Performance Evaluation.
- Learners are required to submit a written request for approval of any anticipated absence, to the DCE, prior to the absence. The DCE will communicate with the learner regarding details of the anticipated absence, preceptor notification and preceptor approval. Learners should not seek approval from the preceptor without prior approval by the DCE lest this be considered an unexcused absence.
- If a learner misses up to five (5) days on any rotation, he/she/they must discuss with the preceptor ways to make-up the missed time. If there is no opportunity for the learner to make up the missed days at that clinical site, the learner must discuss make-up time at another clinical site with the DCE. If there are no available clinical rotation site contiguous with the current cycle, the learner will receive an Incomplete-grade until the hours have been made up.
- In the event that a learner misses more than five (5) days on any rotation for an excused absence, they will be required to repeat the rotation.
- Learners may be required by some clinical sites to engage in clinical or educational activities during the evenings and/or weekends.
- If the preceptor or his/her/their designee is unavailable to work with the learner for 2 or more scheduled clinical days (e.g. vacation, scheduled days off, etc.), the learner is required to notify the DCE so that an alternate assignment may be made.
- Learners are required to return to campus at the completion of each rotation for academic and professional activities such as case presentations, End-of-Rotation Exams, OSCEs, and other designated program endeavors.