Theatre Projects (THEA 4900x) are a practical, hands-on exploration of applied methods or techniques. The normal result is a performance or a tangible product.
Independent Studies (THEA 4990x) are independent research and reading guided by a faculty member normally resulting in a paper.
Proposals for Theatre Projects and Independent Studies must be approved by the theatre arts Curriculum Committee prior to registration for the semester in which the study is to be undertaken.
Only juniors and seniors having an overall G.P.A. of 2.3 with 3.0 in the major may apply.
Theatre Projects and Independent Studies may not duplicate or substitute for standard course work within the department. No retroactive credit will be granted by the Department of Theatre Arts. Students should refer to the Ithaca College Undergraduate Catalog for credit hour limitations.
- Discuss idea for the study/project with the department faculty member qualified to supervise.
- Write a detailed proposal in the form of a design statement of the project/study found at the bottom of this page.
- Complete the workflow form found at the bottom of this page and attached a PDF of the design statement.
- The workflow form will route to the proposer's academic advisor’s for approval.
- The form will then route to the Theatre Arts Curriculum & Assessments Committee for review. The Committee evaluates all proposals to assess academic and/or creative value, and confirms the appropriate number of credits for the study. This process might involve some back and forth with the proposer for clarification and a revised design statement may be requested.
- Once approved - the proposer will engage in the study conforming to the design statement.