Student supervisors should be cognizant of the following standard procedures when running production crews in either theatre:
A. Appropriate Use of the Theatres
1. The normal hours of operation in the theatres are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Any crews that are called outside those hours are considered special calls and must be approved by the design/technical faculty and staff and must be under the direction of an approved supervisor. While it is likely that some crews will need to work after 10:00 p.m., it should be noted that the Department of Safety and Security will remove anyone remaining in the building after 1:00 a.m. unless prior approval has been granted.
2. No fewer than two people, one of whom must be an approved supervisor, will be allowed to work in the theatres at any time.
B. Basic Safety and Operational Guidelines
1. It will be assumed that the designated student supervisors who work on the Hoerner stage are trained in the proper use of the counterweight flying system. If this is not the case, it is the responsibility of the student supervisor to seek that training from the appropriate faculty or staff member.
2. Student supervisors should know the exact location and use of fire extinguishers and emergency exits.
3. Outriggers must always be used in the Genie personnel lift and the aluminum scaffolding.
4. Unsafe or damaged equipment should be taken out of service and reported to the department technical director immediately.
5. Smoking and consumption of alcohol are not permitted in the building.
C. Emergency Procedures
The theatre arts department will hold informational meetings for all student supervisors at the beginning of each semester to review procedures to be followed in the event of fire and/or personal injury. For obvious reasons, these meetings will be mandatory.