- Performance (B.M.)
- Performance and Music Education (B.M.)
- Composition (B.M.) -- audition only required for instrumental emphasis (private lesson) consideration
- Music (B.A.)
- Music Education (B.M.)
- Music in Combination with an Outside Field (B.M.)
- Sound Recording Technology (B.M.) -- applicants must submit a pre-screen audition recording (review requirements)
- Minor in Music
Euphonium (Baritone) Audition Requirements
Undergraduate Audition Requirements for:
- One complete, multi-movement work (concerto, sonata, or suite) from any historical period (recommendations below).
- One lyrical or one technical etude (recommendations below).
- All Major and Harmonic Minor Scales, in one or two octaves at 76 bpm or faster (eighth-sixteenth pattern). Be able to demonstrate the upper and lower extremities of your range.
Recommended Solo Repertoire:
|Barat: Andante and Allegro||De Luca: Beautiful Colorado|
|Barat: Introduction and Dance||Guilmant: Morceau Symphonique|
|Bellstedt: Napoli Variations||Haddad: Suite for Baritone|
|Capuzzi/Catelinet: Andante & Rondo||Marcello: Sonata in F Major|
|Clinard: Sonata for Unaccompanied Euphonium or Trombone||Mozart: Concerto for Bassoon -K191 (any 2 movements)|
|Curnow: Rhapsody for Euphonium||Other pieces may be allowed with prior approval|
Etudes to be selected from:
|Rochut/Bordogni: Melodius Etudes for Trombone/Euphonium (#1-15)||Tyrell: 40 Progressive Studies for Trombone/Euphonium|
Graduate Audition Requirements for:
- Music Education (M.M., M.S.)
Candidates must exhibit the equivalent preparation to that required for the Bachelor of Music in Performance at Ithaca College and give evidence of being equipped to perform successful recitals during the period of study for the degree program.
Prepare the following for a 20-minute audition:
- 2 contrasting solos (preferably demonstrating differing styles or historical periods; recommendations below).
- 3-5 standard Band/Wind Ensemble and Orchestra Excerpts (recommendations below).
Recommended Solo Repertoire:
|Bach/(Yeo or Starker): Cello Suites||Gillingham: Blue Lake Fantasies|
|Cosma: Euphonium Concerto||Horovitz: Euphonium Concerto|
|Curnow: Symphonic Variants||Jacob: Fantasia|
|Eccles: Sonata in G Minor for Trombone/Euphonium and Piano||Sparke: Pantomime|
Recommended Band/Wind Ensemble and Orchestral Excerpts:
|Barber: Commando March||Mahler: Symphony No. 7|
|Grainger: Irish Tune from County Derry||Mussorgsky/Ravel: Bydlo from Pictures at an Exhibition|
|Grainger: Lincolnshire Posy||Schoenberg: Theme and Variations|
|Holst: Mars and Jupiter from The Planets||Strauss: Don Quixote|
|Holst: Military Suites||Strauss: Ein Heldenleben|
|King: The Melody Shop||Sullivan/Mackerras: Pineapple Poll|
Message from the Music Admission Team
At Ithaca College, we value all voices and encourage you to bring your authentic self to your audition. Throughout your application and audition process, our Faculty and Admission Team will always seek potential over perfection, and look forward to discovering the unique perspectives and backgrounds you could bring to the School of Music community.
Our team strives to foster equitable and inclusive practices in our auditions, while identifying areas where additional attention is needed to affect change. Please visit this page to learn about the different audition options available this year, and do not hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
-IC Music Admission Team
Bradley Whittemore and Felice Doynov
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
Visit Professor Earll's Website
Specific repertoire questions should be directed to Professor Earll.