- Performance (B.M.)
- Performance and Music Education (B.M.)
- Composition (B.M.) -- audition only required for instrumental emphasis (private lesson) consideration
- Music (B.A.)
- Music Education (B.M.)
- Music in Combination with an Outside Field (B.M.)
- Sound Recording Technology (B.M.) -- applicants must submit a pre-screen audition recording (review requirements)
- Minor in Music
Tuba Audition Requirements
Undergraduate Audition Requirements for:
- One complete, multi-movement work (concerto, sonata, or suite) from any historical period (recommendations below).
- One lyrical or one technical etude (recommendations below).
- All Major and Harmonic Minor Scales, in one or two octaves at 76 bpm or faster (eighth-sixteenth pattern). Be able to demonstrate the upper and lower extremities of your range.
Recommended solo repertoire:
|Barat: Introduction and Dance||Hindemith: Sonata (any 2 movements)|
|Broughton: Sonata/Concerto (Mvt I)||Lebedev: Concerto in One Movement for Tuba or Bass Trombone|
|Capuzzi/Catelinet: Andante & Rondo||Marcello/Little: Sonata No. 1 in F Major|
|Gregson: Tuba Concerto (Mvt I)||Wilder: Effie Suite (3 movements)|
|Haddad: Suite for Tuba||Other pieces may be allowed with prior approval|
ETUDES TO BE SELECTED FROM:
|Blazevich: 70 Studies for Tuba Vol. 1||Kopprasch: 60 Selected Studies for Tuba|
|Bordogni: Complete Vocalises for Tuba (#1-15)|
Graduate Audition Requirements for:
- Music Education (M.M., M.S.)
Candidates must exhibit the equivalent preparation to that required for the Bachelor of Music in Performance at Ithaca College and give evidence of being equipped to perform successful recitals during the period of study for the degree program.
Prepare the following for a 20-minute audition:
- 2 contrasting solos (preferably demonstrating differing styles or historical periods; recommendations below).
- 3-5 standard Orchestra Excerpts (recommendations below)
RECOMMENDED SOLO REPERTOIRE:
|Bach/Cooley: Sonata No. 2 in E-flat (for Flute)||Stevens: Salve Venere, Salve Marte|
|Broughton: Sonata/Concerto for Tuba||Stevens: Triumph of the Demon Gods|
|Gregson: Alarum||Vaughan Williams: Concerto for Bass Tuba|
|Penderecki: Capriccio||Wilhelm: Tuba Concertino|
|Plog: Three Miniatures||Williams: Tuba Concerto|
RECOMMENDED ORCHESTRAL EXCERPTS:
|Berlioz: Hungarian March||Prokofiev: Symphony No. 5|
|Berlioz: Symphony Fantastique||Respighi: The Fountains of Rome|
|Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 (Mvt IV)||Stravinsky: Petrushka (The Peasant and the Bear)|
|Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis (Mvt II)||Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg|
|Mahler: Symphony No. 1 (Mvt III)||Wagner: The Ride of the Valkyries|
Message from the Music Admission Team
At Ithaca College, we value all voices and encourage you to bring your authentic self to your audition. Throughout your application and audition process, our Faculty and Admission Team will always seek potential over perfection, and look forward to discovering the unique perspectives and backgrounds you could bring to the School of Music community.
Our team strives to foster equitable and inclusive practices in our auditions, while identifying areas where additional attention is needed to affect change. Please visit this page to learn about the different audition options available this year, and do not hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
-IC Music Admission Team
Bradley Whittemore and Felice Doynov
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
Visit Professor Earll's Website
Specific repertoire questions should be directed to Professor Earll.