What clubs/organizations are you involved in?
- ICTV Newswatch (reporter and associate producer)
- ICTV Good Day Ithaca (social media politics reporter)
- ICTV Reports (assistant producer)
- WICB Radio (newscaster)
- The Ithacan (writer)
Are you involved in the Honors, Leadership Scholar, MLK Scholar, or Park Scholar Program?
Park Scholar Program
Have you been engaged in research, internship opportunities, student teaching, or conferences?
- I visit the juvenile inmates at MacCormick Secure Center and do various projects with them weekly.
- I had an internship opportunity at ABC Localish as a producer. I worked primarily on finding photos for the @Localish social media accounts, especially Instagram. In addition, I wrote, shot, edited, and reported a piece that aired on Localish channels on the first-ever hotel at New York’s JFK Airport, the TWA Hotel.
What is the best class that you’ve taken so far and why?
The best class I’ve taken at Ithaca College so far has been Definitions of Normality with Professor Dunning-Lozano in the sociology department. I learned so much about society and how there are things we all do—because, well, we all do them. These are things that if you didn’t do them, you would be considered as someone who was going against or challenging the societal norms. I think my biggest takeaway was the fact that we often judge people who are going against the norm, but we don’t always take the time to try to understand them or help them do better and perform the norm if it would be beneficial to society. An example would be not littering. After the class, I decided to double major in sociology, and Dr. Dunning-Lozano is my advisor. I am so excited to continue to learn from her and her colleagues’ teachings as I am sure they will impact me for years to come.
Is there anything else you would want to share with a prospective student?
I’m sending all you prospective students good vibes in finding the school of your dreams! I hope it’s Ithaca because then we can say hi to each other; but until then, I’m always here to help you make an informed decision. Reach out via email, or even watch my Instagram stories @ClassyMalick to see a day in the life of my time as a student here!