Business Administration students enrolled prior to fall 2012 are required to complete a field experience to augment their classroom learning. Students can fulfill this requirement as early as summer before their junior year.
This course requires students to work a minimum of 35 hours at an off-campus organization or in a college unit where the skills they are learning in their degree program can be put to use. The field experience requirement has been designed specifically to give students a practical application that reinforces classroom learning.
To enroll in field experience, students must complete the Field Experience Agreement and then submit their completed paperwork to the Student Services Desk on the 3rd floor of the School of Business by the add/drop deadline of the semester in which they will complete their experience. The application can either be scanned and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or be faxed to 607-274-1152.
Students are issued a Pass/Fail grade for their Field Experience based on the timely completion of their final assignment, a final evaluation provided by their field experience supervisor (which is supplied to the supervisor by the Professional Development Coordinator), and a brief exit survey. The Assignment is an electronic portfolio which details the student's experience.
Creating an Electronic Portfolio
Step 1: Sign up for a free account at carbonmade.com.
Step 2: Use the following resources :
- Review an example of the assignment to submit
- Learn how to use the Carbonmade.com website for posting your reflection assignment
Step 3: Create your portfolio. It must include the following:
- a picture of you and a brief professional bio
- informational items about the company/agency;
- weekly log of the tasks performed and the value of these tasks to the company;
- reflections on at least three defining experiences of this field experience;
- reflections on the value of this field experience on your educational experience
- a photo/logo image must accompany each bulleted item above in order to make your writings viewable. These can be photos of your experience or photos pulled off from your company/agency's website. These photos will not be used by the School of Business in any way.
- Submit your e-portfolio through the form below (scroll down). You will be providing the web address for the carbonmade portfolio you have created.
- For the summer semester, e-portfolios are due by 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 7. You may submit your portfolio for review any time before that if desired. Note: once your grade is posted, you are welcome to remove the site if you wish.