Ithaca College
Graduate Catalog 2005-2006

Ithaca College Home  >  Academics  >  Catalogs  > 
Ithaca College Graduate Catalog 2004-2005

Previous Page Next Page

Registration and Course Information

Withdrawal from the College

Students deciding to withdraw from graduate study at any time before completion of their degree program should contact the chair of their program to initiate the withdrawal process. This process should include discussion with the chair and graduate dean of the reasons for withdrawal and implications for an assistantship, if the student has one. If, after these discussions, the student wishes to continue the withdrawal process, he or she must complete a "notification of withdrawal from graduate studies" form (available from the graduate chair or the graduate dean's office) and obtain the signature of the dean of graduate studies. Failure to follow this process may jeopardize the student's potential for readmission at a future date.

Students with guaranteed student loans and Perkins loans must commence repayment within six months, unless they are continuing at another institution or are readmitted.

If a student withdraws and later is suspended, dismissed, or placed on warning for unsatisfactory academic performance, the academic sanctions stand as a matter of record. Warning becomes operative in the event that the student is readmitted to the College.

Withdrawal from a Course

The last date for withdrawal from a course with a grade of W is determined by a percentage of class days. If fewer than 75 percent of the class days for a course have elapsed, the student may withdraw without an F. It is the student's responsibility to obtain a course-withdrawal form from the Division of Graduate Studies. If the form is not completed and submitted to the registrar's office, the grade for the course becomes F.

Full-Time Study

A full-time student is defined as one who takes 9 credits per regular semester or 6 credits in the summer. Full-time students may not take more than 12 credits per semester. Exceptions should be requested in writing and require approval of the dean of graduate studies.

Tuition Refund Schedule

No refunds will be made unless the student requests official withdrawal from a course.

Full-time students who officially withdraw or are dismissed from Ithaca College are charged a percentage of total tuition. For more information refer to "Refund Procedure." Weeks are counted from the first day of class in each semester.

No refunds will be granted until the student completes the College's official withdrawal procedure.

Course Numbering System

Course numbers consist of a three-digit group separated by a hyphen from a five-digit group. In the three-digit group, the first digit identifies the school in which the course is given, and the remaining two digits identify the department. The first digit of the second group is the level of the course.

Course Offerings

Course listings for each semester are published online. The registration schedule is announced by the registrar's office.


Workshops are offered for graduate or undergraduate credit. Course numbers are determined by the level of work expected. With the approval of the adviser, a graduate student may count up to five graduate workshop credits toward a master's degree.

Unit of Credit

Credit is earned at Ithaca College in credit hours as measured by the Carnegie unit -- defined as one hour of classroom instruction and two hours of assignments outside the classroom for a period of 15 weeks for each credit.

Transfer Credit

Courses submitted for transfer credit must be appropriate and applicable to the student's degree or teacher certification program, and a grade of B or better must have been earned. Transferable credits must have been earned not more than three years before matriculation, and no more than 6 credits may be transferred and applied toward an advanced degree. Grades acquired in transferred courses are not applicable to the graduate cumulative average. Students who have matriculated and who wish to earn graduate credit elsewhere for transfer to Ithaca College should obtain approval in writing from the major adviser and the dean of graduate studies before registering for a course intended for transfer.

Fifteen credits earned at institutions that have established formal affiliation programs in specific majors may be applied toward degree requirements. Students must submit a written request for transfer credit to the Division of Graduate Studies. The request must be supported by an official transcript sent directly to Ithaca College from the institutions at which the credit was obtained.

Ithaca College-Cornell University Exchange

This reciprocal arrangement between Ithaca College and Cornell University allows full-time graduate students, with prior approval and within the stated stipulations, to cross-register for one course or 4 credits per semester at Cornell. This arrangement is available during the fall and spring semesters only and is contingent on space availability at Cornell.

Program petition forms and further information are available from the Division of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions.

Incomplete Grades

A student who receives a grade of I (incomplete) and does not complete the requirements of the course before completing or terminating the program will have the grade for the course recorded permanently as incomplete. In some programs (e.g., physical therapy and occupational therapy) students may not advance until the I is made up.

Pass/Fail Option

Graduate programs are permitted to use pass/fail grades for graduate-level workshops (level seven).

Policy on Grade Disputes

Grade disputes should be resolved directly between the individual faculty member and the student. If that is not possible, the graduate chair and/or the dean of graduate studies will mediate the dispute. Failing resolution of the matter at that level, the student may petition the provost. (See "Student's Right to Petition.") The final authority to change a grade rests with the individual faculty member. Exceptions made by the provost will occur only for the most compelling reasons.

Audit Policy

An audited graduate course will appear on a student's transcript provided the student

  1. obtains the permission of the instructor;
  2. pays the audit fee (check with the Division of Graduate Studies for the current rate), plus any additional course fees; and
  3. follows the instructor's requirements for auditors, including attendance policy.

The student or faculty member must submit an audit form to the registrar by the add/drop deadline in the semester in which the course is to be audited. The above audit policy does not apply to summer-term offerings. A graduate course audited for personal interest or for review of certain segments of the course material (no record on transcript) requires only the instructor's permission to attend the class.

All audits depend on class capacity. No tuition-paying student will be denied a place in a class as a result of a place being provided to an auditor. Audits are not counted as credit toward graduation or calculated in the GPA. Students may not change their registration enrollment from audit to a letter grade.

Previous Page Next Page