School of Music

General Information

Admission to the School of Music

All applicants to the School of Music, except composition majors, must audition on their principal instrument or voice and take a sight-singing test. Composition applicants have an interview and portfolio requirement, as well as a sight-singing test. Sound recording technology applicants, in addition to their audition, have an interview with the recording faculty. Applicants may audition on more than one instrument (including voice). Auditions are conducted by the faculty on the Ithaca campus and in several off-campus locations. Students are strongly encouraged to audition on campus. In special circumstances, applicants may audition by tape or at a special time by making arrangements with the music admissions office. Percussion, sound recording technology, and composition applicants must audition on campus. For further information, contact the music admissions office.

External Transfers

Students who wish to transfer into the School of Music from another institution follow the same admission procedure as all new students. Transfer students must audition on their principal instrument or voice and pass a sight-singing test. Students are placed at an academic level on their performing instrument or voice based on the amount of study at other institutions and the performance level demonstrated at their audition. Transfer credit for all non-music courses is evaluated at the time of acceptance to Ithaca College. Transfer credit for music courses cannot be granted until the student completes placement examinations in music theory, sight-singing, music history, and keyboard musicianship. Placement examinations are administered during the orientation periods before the beginning of classes. For further information, contact the music admissions office.

Internal Transfers

The School of Music accepts transfers from other schools at Ithaca College on the same basis as it accepts students from any secondary school or from other institutions of higher learning. All qualified students are encouraged to transfer into the program.

Students considering transfer to the School of Music or those who are considering a music minor should contact the coordinator of music admissions for information regarding the required audition. However, coursework in the School of Music may be taken prior to the time of acceptance as a major or minor in music.

More detailed information may be obtained from the School of Music admissions office.

Students who are interested in transferring should take the following steps:

  • Ask their adviser to send their file to the music admissions office. The file should be available before the audition takes place. The decision on acceptance as a music major is made by the dean of the School of Music based on review of the audition and the student's academic record.
  • If accepted, see the associate dean of the School of Music to confirm a program of study and to be assigned a music faculty adviser.

Academic Programs

For the music major: bachelor of music (B.M.), bachelor of arts (B.A.) -- The courses of study prescribed for these degrees afford music majors a wide range of choices, including various possibilities for teacher certification, to meet their particular professional and personal interests. These programs are set out under "Baccalaureate Degrees."
Baccalaureate Degrees

For the non-music major -- Musically talented students who are seeking a career in other fields may pursue their interest in music according to their ability through a music minor, liberal arts music emphasis, individual courses, ensembles, or lessons.

Music Minor

This program provides an organized sequence of study that nonmajors may begin at the start of their freshman year. Each applicant must audition on a principal instrument and pass a sight-singing test. A schedule of audition dates is available through the music admissions office or the College admissions office.

Program requirements

MUTH 10100

Fundamentals of Music Theory (Students who score 84% or higher on a placement exam for this course, administered by the Department of Music Theory, History, and Composition, fulfill this requirement but do not receive credit for the course.)


MUTH 12100

Introduction to Musical Styles


MUTH 12200

Music Theory I


MUTH 13300-MUTH 13400

Sight-Singing I, II

1.5, 1.5

MUTH 25500-MUTH 25600

History and Literature of Music

3, 3

PFMJ xxx01

Private Instrument (One credit per semester; four consecutive semesters. Private studies are with either a full- or part-time faculty member, or with a graduate student, depending on space availability.)


MUEN xxxxx

Ensemble in consecutive semesters (requires permission of performance teacher and ensemble conductor)




Individual Courses, Ensembles, Lessons

Qualified students, regardless of major, may participate in all music classes, ensembles, and lessons as space is available. An audition is required for private and class lessons. This audition is normally held prior to the opening of classes. Nonmajor students enrolling in private lessons for 1 credit have a weekly half-hour lesson. Contact the chair of performance studies for further information.

Performance Study Fees

Required lessons: All private lessons required for majors and minors are provided at no additional charge.

Elective lessons: All private lessons not required but elected by students carry an additional fee. See "Expenses, School of Music" in the "Student Info" section.
Expenses, School of Music

S/D/F Option for the Nonmajor

All music courses may be taken S/D/F by the nonmajor in accordance with the S/D/F policy, except

  1. private lessons and ensembles
  2. courses required for the music minor

S/D/F Option