Roy H. Park School of Communications

Academic Policies

In addition to general College guidelines for academic standing, majors in the Roy H. Park School of Communications must meet the following requirements:

  • Distribution requirements: Majors must complete at least 12 credits outside of the Park School that carry the classifications of NS (natural science), SS (social science), HU (humanities), and FA (fine arts). Students must have at least 3 credits in each of these four categories. Courses taken within the Park School (for a major, a minor, or among open electives) cannot be counted toward this total. Courses taken outside the Park School that are considered supplemental requirements or restricted electives within the student's degree program can be counted toward this total. The introductory writing courses (WRTG 10600, 10800, and 11100) do not fulfill the HU requirement. Credit hours used to fulfill the distribution requirements can be associated with non-communication courses within a Park School major, within a required minor, for an optional minor outside of the Park School, for an additional major outside the Park School, or within their total of open elective credit hours.
  • Majors in B.S. and B.A. programs must complete at least 60 credits outside of Park School communications courses (which includes the distribution requirements listed above) to satisfy their degree requirements (120 credits). B.F.A. majors must complete at least 48 credits outside of Park School communications courses to satisfy their degree requirements (120 credits). The regulations of the New York State Education Department require 60 credits in courses designated as liberal arts (LA) for the B.S., 90 credits for the B.A., and 30 credits for the B.F.A.
  • Majors must take all communications courses, whether required or elective, and all outside courses required for the major, including supplemental requirements and distribution requirements, for a letter grade. The only exceptions are specially designated communications courses, which may be offered on a pass/fail basis, and internships, which are offered only pass/fail. Courses that a student has taken pass/fail and passed before becoming a major will be accepted.
  • Majors are required to take a minimum of 12 credits each semester. Part-time status requires the approval of the associate dean and is usually granted only to seniors who lack fewer than the 12 credits required for graduation and to certain adult students enrolled in approved majors.
  • Majors are required to make up incomplete grades in communications courses by the end of the following semester, as required by the course instructor. Incompletes will not be given in production courses.
  • Students may enroll in only one major within the Roy H. Park School of Communications.
  • A few courses offered in the Roy H. Park School of Communications may be taken twice with the permission of the instructor (these are specified in the course descriptions). However, even with the permission of the instructor, if there is not enough space to permit a student's taking the class a second time, preference for registration in the course will be given to students who have not taken the course and who need it to stay on track for graduation.
  • Total credit for workshop courses in the Park School may not exceed 8 credits, except for B.F.A. majors, who may not take more than 12 credits in workshop courses.
  • Auditing laboratory or production courses is permitted only with the written authorization of the department chair and approval of the dean. In programs requiring concentrations, students should elect the concentration before registration for the first semester of their sophomore year. Several courses are available only to students with declared concentrations that require the course. A student may have only one concentration; the concentration most recently declared is the one in force.
  • All proposed waiver-substitution forms must be submitted to the appropriate department chair before the last day of class of the semester before the student's final semester. Requests submitted after that deadline may not be honored, which may delay the student's graduation.
  • Plagiarism -- the use of work other than one's own without proper citation or credit -- is a serious offense. Penalties for plagiarism include failure on the assignment, failure in the course, and/or College academic discipline, which could mean suspension or dismissal from the College. Plagiarism can involve not only written work but also computer programs, photographs, artwork, films, videos, and sound. Students at all unsure about what constitutes plagiarism or how to give credit should see their instructor and consult the Ithaca College student handbook. For further information see also "Plagiarism" in the "Academic Affairs Information" section of this catalog.
    Student Handbook

Individual departments and programs in the Park School have additional requirements, especially regarding internal and cumulative grade point averages. Students should refer to the department and program requirements for complete information.

Failure to meet any of the academic regulations of the College, school, or individual department or program will result in placement on academic warning, program suspension, or dismissal from the Park School, or dismissal from Ithaca College.

Academic Status

To remain in good academic standing, a student must meet the minimum academic standards for his or her degree program. These standards are listed under each degree program. Students who do not earn the required minimum overall cumulative GPA (and, for majors in communication management and design, the minimum cumulative GPA in all communications courses) will be placed on academic warning or suffer program suspension, program dismissal, or dismissal from the College. In the Park School a student need not be on academic warning for one semester before being suspended or dismissed from the program or dismissed from Ithaca College. Students who drop to part-time status (fewer than 12 credit hours in a semester) without written permission from the dean could be placed on academic warning.

Dean's List

The dean's list in the Roy H. Park School of Communications is made up of majors in each class who meet all the following criteria during the semester:

  • a minimum semester GPA of 3.70
  • completion of a minimum of 15 credits, of which at least 12 are graded, not pass/fail or S/D/F option
  • no final grades of D, F, or I (incomplete)

The dean's list, which is awarded each semester, is based on a student's semester GPA rather than the cumulative GPA for all semesters the student has attended Ithaca College.

Academic Advising

All students in the Park School are assigned an academic adviser upon entering their academic program. Students are required to meet with their advisers prior to registration for classes. Students are encouraged to meet with their advisers if they are planning to study abroad or in Los Angeles or Washington, D.C. Students in the second semester of their junior year are required to meet with their advisers and complete a junior audit to ensure that all graduation requirements will be met by their anticipated graduation date. Any change in a student's academic plan, such as adding a minor or second major, should first be reviewed with that student's academic adviser. A student may change his or her adviser at any time by filling out a form available in the dean's office. A student's academic adviser must teach courses in the student's major department.

Park students have an academic adviser assigned to them at all times, even if they are on academic warning, program suspension, or program dismissal. (Students who have been dismissed from their degree program in the Park School retain their academic adviser until they are accepted into another major at Ithaca College.) If a student's academic adviser is on sabbatical, a leave of absence, or a medical leave of absence, or if he or she leaves employment at the College, the student is assigned a new academic adviser within his or her major. Students should check their online student information on Homer Connect for the name of their academic adviser, if unsure.
Homer Connect