Ithaca College

Ithaca College Home  >  Academics  >  Catalogs  > 

Important Declarations

General Information [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Undergraduate Degree Programs

Graduate and Certificate Programs

Academic Accreditations and Affiliations

Degrees Awarded

Choosing a Program of Study

Academic Services

School of Business [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Academic Policies

Special Programs

Business Administration


Graduate Program

Minors and Other Programs

Accounting Courses

International Business Courses

Management Courses

Finance Courses

Marketing Courses

Human Resource Management Courses

Production Courses

General Business Courses

Interdisciplinary Business Courses

Roy H. Park School of Communications [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Academic Policies

Academic Opportunities

Transfer Policies

Cinema and Photography


Organizational Communication, Learning, and Design


Cinema and Photography Courses

General Communications Courses

Journalism Courses

Organizational Communication, Learning, and Design Courses

Television-Radio Courses

School of Health Sciences and Human Performance [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Academic Programs and Options

Policies and Procedures

Additional Costs

Graduate Programs

Exercise and Sport Sciences

Exercise and Sport Sciences Courses

Health Promotion and Physical Education

Physical Education Courses

Health Courses


Health Policy Studies Courses

Physical Activity, Leisure, and Safety

Aquatics Courses

Individual and Dual Sports


Team Sports

Physical Fitness Activities


Occupational Therapy

Occupational Therapy Courses

Physical Therapy

Physical Therapy Courses

Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology

Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Courses

Sport Management and Media

Sport Management and Media Courses

Therapeutic Recreation and Leisure Services

Recreation Courses

School of Humanities and Sciences [an error occurred while processing this directive]


Majors in H&S

Special Regulations

Internal Transfers into Humanities and Sciences

Dean's List

General Education in Humanities and Sciences

First Year Seminar Program

Honors Program

Career Planning for H&S Majors

Academic Status


Anthropology Courses


Art Courses

Art History

Art History Courses


Biochemistry Courses


Biology Courses


Chemistry Courses

Community Service Program

Computer Science

Computer Science Courses


Economics Courses


English Courses


History Courses


Mathematics Courses

Modern Languages and Literatures

Linguistics Courses

French Courses

German Courses

Hebrew Courses

Italian Courses

Latin Courses

Spanish Courses


Philosophy and Religion


Philosophy Courses

Religious Studies

Religious Studies Courses


Physics Courses


Politics Courses


Psychology Courses


Sociology Courses

Speech Communication

Speech Communication Courses

Teacher Education Program

Teacher Education Courses

Theater Arts

Theater Arts Courses


Writing Courses

Individual and Interdisciplinary Studies Programs

 Classical Studies Minor

 Community Service Program

 Community Service Program Courses

 Environmental Studies Program

 Environmental Studies Courses

 Jewish Studies

 Jewish Studies Courses

 Latin American Studies

 Neuroscience Minor

 Neuroscience Courses

 Planned Studies Major

 Planned Studies Courses

 Women's Studies

 Women's Studies Courses

 Interdisciplinary Courses

School of Music [an error occurred while processing this directive]

General Information

Baccalaureate Degrees

Academic Courses of Study

Academic Status

Music Course Descriptions

Music Theory, Sight-Singing, and Composition Courses

Music History and Literature Courses

Music Education Courses

Jazz Studies Courses

Additional Music Courses

Courses for the Non-Music Major

Performance Courses







Performance -- Secondary Instrument Classes


Curriculum Outlines

Bachelor of Music in Music Education

Bachelor of Music in Performance and Music Education

Bachelor of Music in Performance

Bachelor of Music in Performance-Collaborative Emphasis

Bachelor of Music in Sound Recording Technology

Bachelor of Music in Combination with an Outside Field

Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies

Bachelor of Music in Music Theory

Bachelor of Music in Composition

Bachelor of Arts in Music

Combined Bachelor's and Master's Degree Programs

Secondary Instrument Study Plans

Division of Interdisciplinary and International Studies [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Culture and Communication

Culture and Communication Courses

Legal Studies

Legal Studies Courses

Gerontology Institute

Gerontology Institute Courses

Minor in Health Communication

Center for the Study of Culture, Race, and Ethnicity

Native American Studies

Center for Teacher Education

Center for Teacher Education Courses

International Programs

London Center

Other Off-Campus Programs

Division of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions

Student Information [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Transfer Students

Advanced Placement Policy

International Baccalaureate Policy

CLEP Policy

Articulation Agreements

Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)

International Students

Health Center


Residence/Off-Campus Policy

Student Aid [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Academic Standing and Progress

Ithaca College Programs

New York State Programs

Federal Programs

Other Resources and Information

Endowed Scholarships and Special Awards

Academic Information [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Graduation and Program Regulations

Registration and Course Information

Credit and Grade Information

Academic Affairs Information

Leaves of Absence, Withdrawals, and Readmissions

Faculty and Administration [an error occurred while processing this directive]

School of Business

Roy H. Park School of Communications

School of Health Sciences and Human Performance

School of Humanities and Sciences

School of Music

Division of Interdisciplinary and International Studies

Professors Emeriti



Ithaca College Undergraduate Catalog 2005-2006

Previous PageNext Page

Student Aid

Financial Aid Eligibility and Renewal

Ithaca College participates in a wide variety of aid programs designed to meet the needs of most students. These include federal, state, and our own institutional aid programs. Additional information may also be found at Please feel free to contact the Office of Financial Aid by phone at 800-429-4275, by fax at 607-274-1895, or by e-mail at

All applicants for admission to Ithaca College and all continuing students are eligible to apply for financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, work, and loans. Ithaca College institutional aid programs consist of merit-based, merit within need, and need-based-only programs.

  • Ithaca College offers a significant number of President's, Dean's, and ALANA Scholarships awarded to students of exceptional academic ability regardless of financial need. These awards are determined at the time a student is accepted for admission to the College.
  • Ithaca Access Grants are awarded to students based on demonstrated need for financial aid, using a combination of federal and institutional assessments.
  • Endowed scholarships and special awards are based on the criteria established by the donor and institutional policy. They are primarily awarded to students who have attended the College for at least one semester.
Application Information

All students (incoming and continuing) who wish to be considered for any federal or need-based institutional assistance must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the appropriate agency. Additional applications may be required for state programs. Students should check with their state education department or local high school or college for application information.

The following college codes are used in the completion of certain applications to assure that Ithaca College receives the information. Refer to individual applications for instructions on where to indicate these codes.





New York State TAP


The priority filing date of the FAFSA for incoming students is February 1 of the year in which financial aid is desired. Students who are applying for admission to the College through the early decision process and who wish to receive advance notification of their eligibility for institutional aid must also submit the Profile application, available from the College Scholarship Service (CSS). To receive the application, applicants must register with and submit a fee to CSS beginning no earlier than late September. Completed application materials must be returned to CSS for processing by November 1.

For continuing students, the priority filing date for the FAFSA is March 1 of the year in which financial aid is desired. In addition, continuing students must file with the financial aid office an Ithaca College continuing student application for aid (CSAA) by March 1.

FAFSA applications are generally available at high schools in mid-November of the year before a student wishes to receive aid. (The FAFSA may be filed electronically at; however, the online application is not available until January 1 of the year in which aid is being requested.)

Applications of incoming and continuing students who apply after these dates will be reviewed but cannot be guaranteed full consideration for all aid programs.

It is the student's responsibility to complete any application for aid for which he or she is determined to be eligible unless the student wishes to decline the aid source being offered.

Duration and Limitations of Awards

Aid is awarded for one year - All forms of financial aid - scholarships, grants, jobs, and loans - are committed for the period of one academic year only and must be reapplied for annually. Exceptions are the Ithaca recognition awards and President's, Dean's, Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK), Ithaca Premier Talent, and ALANA Scholarships, which are based on merit or a combination of merit and talent. The Ithaca Sibling and Ithaca Heritage Grants also do not require an application.

Aid goes with you if you transfer within the College - Ithaca College need-based scholarships and grants remain with the student regardless of transfer from school to school within the College, as long as he or she continues to demonstrate financial need, maintains full-time status, and meets the College's standards for good standing and satisfactory progress for state and federal programs.

Aid is renewed as long as you're progressing - Ithaca College President's, Dean's, and ALANA Scholarships are renewed annually until a student completes the bachelor's degree program, as long as he or she maintains full-time status and a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 at the end of each spring semester and meets the College's standards for good standing and satisfactory progress. A student must enroll in at least 12 credits per semester to be considered as making satisfactory academic progress for the purpose of the merit-based programs. The same rules apply to the MLK Scholarship, except that the GPA requirement is a 3.30. Please refer to specific awards for more information.

Aid stops if you withdraw from the College - A student automatically forfeits financial aid when he or she withdraws, is suspended, or is dismissed from any program at Ithaca College. Ithaca recognition awards and President's, Dean's, MLK, and ALANA Scholarships are not renewed if a student withdraws from the College or returns to the College without an approved leave of absence. A student who does not enroll full-time or drops to part-time status loses his or her merit-based award for that semester. Students taking a leave of absence must contact the financial aid office before leaving school. Students returning from a leave of absence must reapply for financial aid under the usual guidelines for each program.

Special TAP standards - There are special New York State standards for students receiving Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) awards set out in the state programs section of this catalog (p. 265). Financial aid recipients must notify the financial aid office of changes to part-time status, internal transfers to other schools, and any changes of major.

Aid is adjusted as need changes -- Should a student's financial need increase, his or her financial aid may be increased; should a student's need decrease, need-based financial aid may be decreased. Need-based scholarships and grants are not renewed if a student fails to meet the prescribed deadlines or if funds become unavailable for any reason.

Time limit for aid - Financial aid is usually terminated after eight semesters unless the course of study normally requires additional semesters. Financial aid for transfer students is terminated at the completion of the number of semesters the student's dean designates for degree completion when the student enters the College. Exceptions to these time limitations must receive the approval of the student's academic dean and the financial aid office. A student retains financial aid as long as he or she meets the standards prescribed for satisfactory progress and program pursuit for each specific program from which the student receives funds.

Report all awards - Recipients of financial aid are required to report all financial aid awards received from outside organizations and agencies immediately upon receiving such assistance. The report must be made in writing to the financial aid office. Ithaca College reserves the right to change financial aid awards when students receive additional awards from any source. Award packages normally include estimates of anticipated Pell grant and state scholarship awards. In the event that the actual award is larger than estimated, Ithaca College awards may be reduced. Should actual awards be less than estimated, an increase in Ithaca College awards may be considered, if funds are available.

Academic Status

Academic status decisions, such as academic warning and suspension, are made independently of a student's financial aid status. (See "Academic Standards.). Thus, standards of eligibility for financial aid may be stricter than standards of eligibility to remain at the institution. Individual schools and departments may have more stringent academic requirements than the minimum standards indicated under the heading "Academic Standing and Progress." Therefore, students should check their school and department listings for special academic status policies.

Summer School Assistance

Institutional assistance for summer school is very limited. The summer school application deadline is April 1 in the year the student wishes to be considered for aid. Tentative notifications are made by May 1. Some students who are not awarded assistance may be allowed to defer tuition payments until the fall semester.

An Ithaca College summer school aid application, available in the Office of Financial Aid, is required in addition to filing the FAFSA. Physical therapy and occupational therapy students progressing normally within their program are exempt from this process. HEOP (Higher Education Opportunity Program) and IOG (Ithaca Opportunity Grant) students should check with the Office of Multicultural Affairs academic services program to find out how to apply for summer aid. Consideration for summer school institutional aid is given in the following order: a) students who will graduate at the end of the summer, fall, or spring semester; b) students who must attend summer session as part of the natural sequence of their major; c) all others.

Student Self-Help

Student contribution - All students who receive financial aid are expected to find summer employment while enrolled at Ithaca College and to use a portion of those earnings toward upcoming educational expenses. A minimum self-help contribution of $1,500 from summer earnings is required for institutional need-based aid, regardless of the federally calculated student contribution. HEOP and IOG students attending the summer prefreshman program are exempt from this requirement. Any student who intends to travel or attend summer school must advise the financial aid office in advance and receive a written waiver of the summer employment requirement in order to be exempt from consideration of summer earnings as a portion of available funds.

Aid allocations - Allocations for financial assistance through employment programs are not guarantees of jobs. This allocation represents the amount a student is eligible to earn once he or she finds a campus job. Students may not work at on-campus or federal work-study (FWS) community service positions more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. Specific employment opportunities are available at

Loans - Federal Perkins and Stafford student loans are liabilities incurred by the student and must be repaid. Repayment schedules, which include interest, begin six or nine months after graduation or withdrawal from school, depending on the type of loan.

International Students

Financial aid for noncitizens is limited to institutional aid sources, including Ithaca College President's and Dean's Scholarships, Ithaca Access Grants, Ithaca Leadership Scholarships, endowed and special awards, and campus employment.

International students applying for need-based assistance for the first time must complete a foreign student financial aid application and a certification of finances form, available from the College's admission and financial aid offices. Prior aid recipients are required to complete the Ithaca College CSAA.

In order to be considered for federal, state, or educational opportunity programs, international students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents; possess a valid alien registration receipt card; have an arrival-departure record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing a status of refugee, asylum granted, parole (I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), or Cuban-Haitian entrant; possess a valid temporary resident card (I-688); or have a conditional permanent resident card (I-151C).

Financial Aid Disbursement, Payment of Bills

Financial aid is credited to a student's account in equal amounts for each semester. Under special circumstances, a student may request permission to use financial aid for summer school attendance. It is a student's responsibility to see that bills are paid in full by the due date - August 15 for the fall semester and January 10 for the spring semester. Bills not paid in full by those dates will be assessed a $200 late fee each month that a balance remains outstanding. Students expecting to use a Stafford student loan for payment of their bills must demonstrate loan approval to the financial aid office before July 15 for fall semester payments and before November 15 for spring semester payments. Anticipated earnings from a student's employment may not be used as payment on the student's account. All federal (except Stafford loans, PLUS loans, and federal work-study), state, and institutional aid (excluding employment programs) is credited to a student's account after the add/drop period of the semester for which the funds are intended, providing the student meets all requirements.

Students applying for financial aid will not be discriminated against on the basis of age, color, creed, disability, handicap, marital status, military status, national origin, race, sex, or sexual orientation status.

Advances on Anticipated Aid

The College recognizes that a student may be receiving several different types of financial aid and that these resources typically do not arrive at the College at the same time. A student may need anticipated aid that exceeds his or her charges to help meet other educational expenses such as books and supplies, rent, utilities, and so forth. When a student has met the obligations of filing for financial aid in a timely fashion and has provided all the required documents and forms to receive aid for which he or she is eligible, the College provides an opportunity for a small advance against anticipated financial aid once the semester has begun. This is not a loan, and no interest is charged for this service. Students must complete an Ithaca College advance request form. This application and additional information on eligibility and process are available in the Office of Financial Aid.

Previous PageNext Page

Contacting the CollegeDirectoriesSite IndexIthaca College HomeIthaca College Home

A. Ozolins, Office of Creative Services, 15. July, 2005