Can graduate students apply their earnings from assistantships to their bills?

It depends what kind of employment you have. Exempt positions will earn a predetermined amount of money and students in this category can sign a payroll deduction form to apply earnings to their bill. Non-Exempt positions are paid hourly for hours actually worked. Students in this category cannot use payroll deduction as there is no guarantee to the amount of wages earned.