Graduate Assistantships

About 75 percent of full-time matriculated graduate students in exercise and sport sciences hold assistantships. An assistantship provides a nontaxable scholarship, which is applied to the tuition bill, as well as a taxable salary for carrying out assigned duties.

Graduate assistants work in the labs, clinics, and on the field. Specifically, assistantships are available in the following areas depending on availability and year to year needs:

  • Anatomy & physiology lab teaching assistant
  • Kinesiology lab teaching assistant
  • Biomechanics lab teaching assistant
  • Exercise physiology lab teaching assistant
  • Sport psychology teaching assistant
  • Research assistants
  • Wellness clinic supervisor & exercise specialist
  • Intercollegiate sports assistant coaches
  • Certified strength & conditioning specialists
  • Certified athletic trainers
  • Recreational sports (rare)

Applying for an Assistantship. To be considered for an assistantship, applicants must have an undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or higher. Typically, assistantships are awarded for two semesters and require a commitment of 12-15 hours a week. In addition, each graduate assistant is assigned to a supervisor.

To be considered for an assistantship you must answer "YES" to the question, "Are you applying for a graduate assistantship?" on the application for admission. Answer the questions that follow, but this does not constitute your application for an assistantship. You must complete a separate graduate assistantship application.  This application and instructions can be found here. You must also submit one additional letter of recommendation that speak to your work-related skills and a current resume. The letter of recommendation need not use the same form as your other letters. The application, the resume with cover letter, and additional letter of recommendation are all sent to the ESS Graduate Program Chair.

Athletic trainers must be certified by the time their assistantship duties start, strength and conditioning specialists must be NSCA-CSCS certified (or equivalent), wellness clinic supervisors must have fitness training experience and preferably ACSM or NSCA certification. Coaches must have at least collegiate level playing experience or equivalent. Be sure to identify the sport(s) you are interested in. International students may have different certifications or levels of playing experience. If in doubt, please contact the graduate chair.

Occasionally, graduate assistantships are available elsewhere on campus, such as the library or academic support services. It is up to each student to inquire to these departments and offices as the ESS graduate chair may not be informed about what is available and what is not.

For details and application procedures, please refer to the information in the Graduate Catalog.