FAQs for Prospective Graduate Students

Graduate Program Admission Information

Important Dates

February 1
All applicant materials should be complete and submitted to the Office of Admission.

Late March - Early April
Applicants will be notified of acceptance, rejection, or waiting list status.

April 15
Accepted applicants who wish to enroll in our graduate program must pay their deposit.

Late April - Early May
Assistantship award letters will be sent out.

Admission Requirements

To be considered for admission, applications to the Speech-Language Pathology program or Speech-Language Pathology with Teacher Certification program must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution, and an overall grade point average of at least 3.00 (on a 4.00 grading system) in their undergraduate major. Students must enter the program during the fall semester.

All applications must include official transcripts from every undergraduate institution attended, as well as documentation of all CLEP and AP Credits, two letters of recommendation that evaluate the applicant’s academic abilities, the application fee, and Graduate Record Examination scores. Applicants seeking assistantships must submit one additional letter of recommendation from an independent reviewer (a total of three letters are required if applying for an assistantship).

Candidates applying from institutions outside the USA must have transcripts evaluated by World Education Services. Students whose native language is not English should visit the Graduate Admission website, and select Application Process in the left sidebar for information on the TOEFL requirement.

For comprehensive information about the admissions process, please refer to the most recent Graduate Catalog.

Is the graduate program at Ithaca College accredited?

Yes, our program is accredited by the Council for Academic Accreditation (CAA) through 2019. All programs are accredited for a specified number of years, and must then reapply. We will reapply at the appropriate time in order to maintain continuous accreditation. We are also accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)/Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).

Are IC undergraduate SLP students automatically admitted into the graduate program?

Currently enrolled seniors in the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology program at Ithaca College are granted automatic acceptance into our graduate program when they submit the online application, if they meet the admission criteria set in place when they entered the undergraduate program. Students should talk with their academic advisors for details.

What if I did not major in SLP or communication disorders as an undergraduate?

Students who did not major in SLP/communication disorders as undergraduates are required to take all prerequisite courses prior to enrollment in the program.

Who can supervise my observation hours?

All observation hours must be completed under the supervision of an individual who holds ASHA’s Certificate of Clinical Competence at the time the supervision is provided.

Where can I complete my externships?

Traditionally, students have been able to complete their clinical externships throughout the country. Some states may elect to institute restrictions on externship experiences that hamper or prohibit externship affiliation agreements; such decisions are outside the control of Ithaca College. The department provides students opportunities to complete their externships in a timely manner, but we are not able to guarantee the location of available sites in any given semester. Canadian students should plan on completing their externships within the United States.

What happens after I graduate?

After you complete all of the required graduate coursework and clinical practica, you will be eligible to begin a clinical fellowship (CF). Upon successful completion of the CF, you will be eligible for certification as a speech-language pathologist from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, and licensure as a speech-language pathologist in New York State. For students who completed the SLPTC degree and wish to apply for initial teaching certification, please see additional requirements in the graduate catalog.

On other sections of our website you can find information about:

a. PRAXIS pass rate

b. Program completion rate

c. Employment rate of students who have completed our program, and some of the settings in which they work.