One of the many responsibilities of a supervisor is to develop employees. Every employee’s performance review should include a dialogue about professional development along with developmental goals and a plan for achieving those goals (an Individual Development Plan). This plan is a collaborative effort between the supervisor and the employee. When necessary, funds are available to help meet this expectation.
Learning a skill, getting a certification, training, or some development that will help the employee in their job and help the College in attaining its mission, vision, or guiding principles are applicable goals. If the employee’s department is supportive of the development opportunity but lacks funding, HR encourages the employee to submit a request for additional funding.
The Request for Staff Development Funding Form should be completed and submitted to the Office of Human Resources at least 60 days prior to the start of the development opportunity the employee is requesting funds to attend.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is eligible to receive funds from the Staff Development Fund?
- Employees who are full-time, on-going employees.
- Employees who are benefits-eligible.
- Employees who have passed their probationary period.
2. Does the Staff Development Fund cover all costs associated with a professional development opportunity?
- The cost of the professional development opportunity is typically shared by the employee's department and the Staff Development Fund.
- The Staff Development Fund typically will cover the cost of registration. The department is responsible for any other costs.