Information on Readmission and Transferring Credits
Requirements for Consideration for Readmission
To be considered for readmission following academic suspension, you must:
1. Obtain an Application for Readmission to Ithaca College from the Office of the Registrar. You will need to complete the application and submit an essay. Your essay must include an educational plan that describes how you intend to complete a successful program of study during the semester in which your are readmitted. Forward official transcripts of any studies completed at other institutions during the period you are away from Ithaca College.
2. Submit the Application for Readmission to the Office of the Registrar by July 1 for readmission for the fall semester and by December 1 for readmission for the spring semester.
3. Complete at least six credit hours concurrently at an accredited institution. Earn no final grades less than a B. This condition applies to all courses taken even if you enroll in more than six credits. For information about accredited institutions, contact the Office of the Registrar at 607 274 3127. International students must take a minimum of 12 credits at another accredited institution to keep their visa and must receive no final grades less than a B.
4. Enroll in coursework in the humanities and sciences' disciplines; coursework must be approve by the Dean's Office prior to enrollment. In other words, the courses should be similar to those listed in the School of Humanities and Sciences' section of the Ithaca College Undergraduate Catalog and must meet the criteria for transfer to Ithaca College. Do not take a course at another institution if you already received credit for its equivalent at Ithaca College as it will not be transferable.
How to Transfer Credit
1. Prior to taking a course elsewhere, you should contact the Ithaca College department chair of the department where you wish transfer credit to be granted, and the department chair of your major department, to ensure that the proposed coursework fulfills graduation requirements. If you do not take this step, it is possible that courses taken will not be eligible for transfer to the College and may not fulfill requirements for graduation. Please be aware that Themes and Perspectives courses, ICC Capstone courses, and CLA courses (except as part of an approved major or minor) must be taken at Ithaca College.
2. Inactive students (ie. students who are on academic suspension or administratively withdrawn from Ithaca College) will no longer complete a Petition for Transfer Credit. Instead, students must submit official transcripts from an accredited institution upon completion of coursework at that institution. These transcripts must be submitted to the Ithaca College Registrar's Office. Although you will not complete a petition for transfer credit form prior to enrollment in courses, you should contact the Ithaca College department chair of the department where you wish transfer credit to be granted, and the department chair of your major department, to ensure that the proposed coursework fulfills graduation requirements.
3. If you are readmitted to Ithaca College, the Office of the Registrar will review your official transcript and will transfer these credits to the College in accordance with the transfer credit policy outlined in the Undergraduate Catalog. While grades of C- or better will transfer to Ithaca College, a student returning from an academic suspension must meet the grade criterion outlined in the letter of suspension.
4. Note that credits taken elsewhere may be transferable, but grades from other institutions do not transfer and therefore will not affect your Ithaca College GPA. Only courses for which you earn a final grade of C- or better may transfer to Ithaca College.