Faculty Academic Advising Goals
Advisers facilitate students’ academic decision making by:
- helping students clarify their education interests, needs, and goals;
- exploring with students how specific majors and courses might meet their educational interests, needs, and goals;
- making students aware of opportunities in all five Schools;
- helping students locate information on academic policies, procedures, and deadlines;
- aiding students in interpreting institutional requirements;
- helping students monitor their progress toward meeting degree requirements;
- assisting students with course selection and registration; and
- clarifying with students that they are ultimately responsible for their decisions.
Advisers enhance students' intellectual and personal development by:
- encouraging students to develop independence and strong decision-making skills;
- making students aware of additional college resources outside of the School of Humanities and Sciences (including, but not limited to, the Counseling Center, Career Services Office, Academic Support Services for Students with Disabilities, and the Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs);
- engaging students in on-going discussions about their career and life goals; and
- fostering an appreciation for the value of a liberal arts education.