Advising & Registration

Advising Notes for Students

The School of Humanities and Sciences’ Office of the Dean has created Advising Notes as a reference guide for students. The Notes include updates, links to advising documents and forms, and other information relevant to the advising and registration period.

Quick Tips:

  1. Your degree evaluation tracks your progress toward graduation, as well as your degree requirements.  It is an important and powerful tool in HomerConnect.  If you are not familiar with the degree evaluation function, please check out the information at the Registrar's Office website. Students who are juniors or seniors with catalog years of 2014-2015 or 2015-2016 will continue to use the Degree Evaluation tool found within Homer Connect. Students who are freshmen and sophomores with catalog years of 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 will be using a new degree evaluation tool, Degree Works.
  2. When you declare your major, you follow the requirements for the major as listed under the catalog year when you declare.  For instance, if you matriculated in Fall 2009 with a History major and in Fall 2011 declare a Politics major you will be following the 2009-2010 Catalog year requirements for your History major and the 2011-2012 Catalog year requirements for your Politics major. 
  3. When you declare a minor it always attaches to your major Catalog year.  For instance, if you matriculated in Fall 2009 with a History major and in Fall 2011 declare a Politics minor, the minor requirements will follow the Catalog year for your major.  In this example it would be Fall 2009.  While you can't declare a catalog year prior to the present for your major/minor (i.e.; you declare in Fall 2009, but want to follow the 2007-2008 Catalog) you can go forward.  For instance, in this example you want to follow the 2011-2012 Catalog requirements for the Politics minor.  You can email and request the change.  You cannot request a change to go to previous Catalog years. Again - majors and minors must follow the same catalog year.
School of Humanities and Sciences  ·  201 Muller Center  ·  Ithaca College  ·  Ithaca, NY 14850  ·  (607) 274-3102  ·  Full Directory Listing