Welcome to the Department of Art History
- Because you've always been interested in art, architecture and visual culture and would like to explore how images and buildings can express fundamental ideas about society, historically and in the present.
- Because you're interested in a possible career in museums, galleries, art restoration, urban design, landscape architecture, historic preservation, or architectural design.
- Because you want to develop visual and spatial skills relevant to success in a host of seemingly unrelated careers.
- Because you love to travel, and are interested in study abroad or off-campus courses or internships that can take you to new places.
The Department of Art History at Ithaca College is dedicated to developing the professional and personal interests of students with a passion for the visual world and the built environment. We offer programs designed to build knowledge, train the eye and the mind, shape professional skills, and provide rich and varied cultural experiences for our students.
The department offers a number of exciting resources for students, including
- The Handwerker Gallery, which provides opportunities for students to work directly with art and exhibitions, both in the classroom and as preprofessional interns.
- Internship and fieldwork opportunities off campus, including at Ithaca College's New York City and London Center programs.
- An advanced technology classroom, funded through a major grant from the W. M. Keck Foundation, which provides rich environment for students to interact with digital images and multimedia, and studio facilities for architectural studies students to produce designs and 3-D models.
- One-on-one work with faculty on research topics in a tutorial, an independent study, and (for those who qualify) an honors thesis.
- Access to digital image databases containing well over 1,000,000 images, for use in our classrooms and for student research.
- An annual departmental field trip to a major cultural center, such as New York City, Philadelphia, or Washington, D.C.