It is possible to get 302 credit at an other institution
Students may complete the research requirement by conducting research off-campus, provided that the student has Biology Curriculum Committee approval and that the research experience is comparable to an on-campus research experience.
At least one month before the research is to begin, the student must:
- Submit an APPLICATION: BIOL-302 Research Credit for Work Done Elsewhere for approval.
- Obtain a signed letter from the off-campus sponsor.
After research has been completed, the student must:
- Have off-campus faculty Research Advisor submit a Student Research Evaluation Form directly to the faculty sponsor in the Biology Department.
- Submit research report to on-campus faculty sponsor and give a research presentation. Research reports must include an introduction (and review of relevant literature), materials and methods, results, discussion, and reference cited.
- Petition to the Biology Curriculum Committee to waive 302 (see below)
- Make up three credits with another 3-4 credit biology course above the 200 level.
Petitions to the Biology Curriculum Committee:
Petitions to waive the 302 requirement must be received by the Curriculum Committee at the completion of the research project. A petition to the Curriculum Committee must include the following items:
1) a formal cover letter requesting a waiver of 302;
2) a copy of the research report;
3) a letter from the off-campus research supervisor describing your role in the research and an evaluation of your work;
4) a course waiver/substitution form (available from Registrar's Office or Biology Office) filled out.
The Curriculum Committee reserves the right to deny acceptance of a waiver petition if it feels that the student has not demonstrated completion of an appropriate research experience.
Ithaca College Biology students interested in summer research elsewhere should look at:
links to various fields, places, jobs is also available here (Excel)
- the department's blog for current announcements/postings.