For Current Students

Welcome current students to your section on the ENVS website. This list of frequently asked questions will provide many of the tools for a successful educational career at Ithaca College's Department of Environmental Studies and Sciences.


How do I declare an Environmental Studies or Science major?
A meeting with a faculty member of the ENVS department, is required in order to declare. This meeting is to determine whether or not your academic goals, strengths, desires, etc. are better suited to environmental studies or sciences. When you do apply, make sure you let us know whether or not you have a preference for a particular person as your ENVS adviser. 

What is the cultural immersion experience?
This experiential requirement is designed to help students discover alternative ways of addressing environmental problems by developing an insider's view that can help broaden their perspectives, and better understand the views of various stakeholders in environmental problem-solving. Click on the following link  for more information on guidelines, criteria and submitting your proposal.

What are the requirements, procedures and deadlines for Honors Research in Environmental Studies and Sciences?
Students with a minimum GPA in Environmental Studies and Sciences courses of 3.50 and an overall GPA of 3.30 may apply for the honors program. Download the Honors Research in Environmental Sciences and Studies informational document for more information.

Where can I find general information about courses being offered next semester?
Find a copy of the ENVS Course Expo slide show that includes details on all ENVS courses for the upcoming semester and some courses from other departments that may be of interest to ENVS majors. 

How can I register for research?
For research, click here for an e-version of the Permission to Enroll/Override form; fill out electronically and email to the faculty member, who will forward to Department Admin with approval. Forms will be processed by 5 pm the day they are received by Admin. 

Where can I find a list of ENVS electives?
The most recent version of the ENV Studies and Sciences Electives lists can be found here.

Where can I find information about Experiential Learning Programs and how to apply?
Internships, Independent Study, Summer Scholars Program, Summer research, Student Conference Fund, ICNYC Program are all opportunities for students to take knowledge learned in the classroom out into the world, where they strive to put that knowledge to work and to see it in action. Visit the H&S website for more information: /hs/students/experiential/

Where can I find the latest departmental updates, additional educational opportunities, outside of the department courses, job and internship opportunities and more?
Head to our archives of weekly updates.

School of Humanities and Sciences  ·  201 Muller Center  ·  Ithaca College  ·  Ithaca, NY 14850  ·  (607) 274-3102  ·  Full Directory Listing