Why You Should Study a Foreign Language
Reasons to Study a Foreign Language
- You should study a foreign language to expand your knowledge
and understanding of various culturally rooted attitudes and
behaviors. By gaining access to this knowledge from the inside, by
understanding and actively using the target language, you foster an
appreciation for diverse attitudes and cultural practices, which in
turn breeds tolerance of others.
- It is through language that people communicate with each other.
When you study a foreign language, you begin to see the rich ways
in which humans use language to communicate and to preserve their
individual and collective histories.
- Studying a foreign language will help increase your sensitivity
to nuances associated with linguistic usage. Oftentimes, these
nuances are key to gaining insight into how people living within
specific societies function.
- Acquiring fluency in a foreign language will help you to
appreciate national and international politics in a way that
monolingual individuals often cannot.
- Law schools, graduate programs and competitive employers often
require knowledge of a foreign language.