FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You will find many frequently asked questions about the premedical sciences on these pages.
A complete listing with all information is available on the documents page.
- How do I apply for the premed program at IC?
- Is there a PreMed major at Ithaca College?
- Do certain majors have a better chance of getting into medical school than others?
- What should I major in?
- What types of grades do I need to get to be competitive?
- Can I use my AP courses to fulfill prerequisites for medical school?
- How do I go about planning my courses to prepare me for a career in medicine or one of the other health professions?
- Can I take summer courses to fulfill some of my prerequisites?
- I’ve heard that you must do research at some point to be competitive, is this true?
- Is there any type of student organization related to medicine that I can get involved in?
- When should I take the MCATs, or other standardized exams?
- How should I prepare for the MCATs?
- Can I take the MCATs in the summer instead of the spring?
- What is the estimated cost of applying to medical school?
- I want to take a formal prep course, but I can’t afford it. What can I do?
Not ready for medical school now--premed committee's recommendation AFTER I graduate from IC:
- What if I’m not ready to go straight to medical school after graduation?
- What if I don’t apply to schools until after I leave IC? Will the premed committee still write a letter of recommendation?
- How do I find shadowing opportunities?
- How many Ithaca College students are actually accepted to medical school?
- What medical schools are they being accepted at?
- What about veterinary school, how successful are Ithaca College students in this field?
- If I have more questions, who should I talk to?