Mission of the Department
We educate future professionals to deliver outdoor adventure leadership and therapeutic recreation services in a competent, ethical, and inclusive manner. Utilizing collaborative partnerships, interdisciplinary and experiential learning, scholarship, and service, we nurture an awareness of the importance of leisure to a sustainable and healthy lifestyle.
We will be recognized nationally for our work in the character and professional development of students in outdoor adventure leadership and therapeutic recreation.
1) To prepare students to be skilled, passionate, and market-ready professionals.
2) To deliver a curriculum that sets and exceeds industry standards.
3) To increase visibility and awareness of the Department of RLS on campus, regionally, and nationally.
The Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies holds the following values:
We primarily value those who are the recipients of our services embracing inclusion and the appreciation of diversity in all our efforts.
1) We value lifelong learning and the character education of our students, enabling them to make a contribution to society and a difference in people’s lives.
2) We value and recognize the individual strengths of ourselves and of our students, and work to instill a desire for quality work through the establishment of good relationships that create a supportive, healthy, and collegial environment.
3) We value mentorship and interdisciplinary collaboration for our students and faculty, committing ourselves to an environment conducive to personal and professional growth.